Football Shaped Oreo Truffles
Football Shaped Oreo Truffles are the perfect dessert for tailgating and Super Bowl! These homemade Oreo balls are a major crowd pleaser.
Football season is over, much to my husband’s dismay, but I wanted to share some pictures of the football truffles I made for Super Bowl. I followed Bakerella’s instructions and, as is the case any time Oreo truffles are involved, they were greatly appreciated! I loved making them!
Briefly, follow the Oreo Truffles recipe and shape the mixture into little football shapes instead of balls. Dip them in chocolate as normal. Once the chocolate has set, melt some white chocolate bark/candy melts, transfer to a piping bag or a sandwich bag with the tip of a corner cut off, and pipe on the laces and rings on the ends. That’s it!
See my original Oreo Truffles post for all of my hints on truffle making!
Gluten Free Oreo Truffles
Use a gluten free chocolate sandwich cookie like Glutino in place of Oreos.
Looking for More Homemade Candy?
Looking for More Tailgating or Super Bowl Recipes?
Check out these other snacks perfect for football watching:
Spicy Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Bacon Stuffed Cherry Tomato Appetizers
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Meatballs
Whole Foods Spinach Artichoke Dip
Layered Taco Dip
Baked Artichoke Dip
Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls
Jalapeno Popper Dip
Pan Fried Onion Dip
Double Tomato Bruschetta
Restaurant Style Hummus
Prosciutto and Melon Bite Sized Appetizers
Restaurant Style Salsa
Simple Tomato Tart
see all of my Appetizer recipes HERE.
For the Truffles:
- 1 package Oreo cookies, finely crushed (or gluten free chocolate sandwich cookies)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 16 ounces semi-sweet chocolate or candy melts
For the Decoration:
- 1/2 cup white chocolate bark or candy melts
Make the Truffles:
- Mix the Oreo crumbs with the cream cheese until well blended.
- Shape the mixture into football shapes, then place them on a waxed paper lined baking sheet. You may need to coat your hands with non stick cooking spray if the mixture is sticky.
- Freeze the footballs while preparing the chocolate.
- In a double boiler (or in a heatproof bowl set above a pot of simmering water), add the chocolate and stir frequently until melted.
- Remove the cookie footballs from the freezer. Add a few balls at a time to the melted chocolate and roll them around with two forks. Remove the truffles with forks and allow excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl before placing truffle back on waxed paper lined baking sheet for chocolate to set.
Add the Decoration:
- For the white chocolate, follow package directions for melting.
- Transfer the melted chocolate to a resealable sandwich bag and snip off the corner. Alternatively, use a pastry bag with a small round tip.
- Pipe on a line across each end of the footballs and pipe on laces.
- Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator.