Pan Fried Onion Dip
Homemade Pan Fried Onion Dip is worth the extra effort! Perfect for dipping veggies, chips, or crackers. Try making this for your next party!
I made this dip for a Memorial Day pool party at my aunt’s house. I wanted a snack that was easy for people to eat at their convenience when going in and out of the pool. I also made these easy to grab Prosciutto and Melon Bite Sized Appetizers.
I’ve said before, dips are one of my favorite foods. Although I love store bought onion dip, I was curious to see how this Pan Fried Onion Dip compared. I love all of Ina Garten’s recipes, so I had high hopes.
First the onions are caramelized in butter and oil, then cooled and mixed with the traditional creamy dip ingredients: sour cream, cream cheese, and mayonnaise.
Everyone loved this dip, and I thought it had a great flavor. The onions are so sweet and delicious, and the cayenne adds a nice kick. Ina has done it again! Serve this dip with your favorite veggies, chips, or crackers.
I have a great dessert coming up next week. Have a great weekend! 🙂 UPDATE: It was these Key Lime Bars
Gluten Free Pan Fried Onion Dip
This dip is naturally gluten free. Serve with your favorite gluten free chips or crackers.
Looking for more dip recipes?
Check out these other dip recipes:
Jalapeno Popper Dip
Whole Foods Copycat Spinach Artichoke Dip
Restaurant Style Hummus
Restaurant Style Salsa
The Best Corn and Tomato Salsa
Layered Taco Dip
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Dill Dip in Rye Bread Round
Hot Artichoke Dip
Fluffy Pumpkin Dip
Honey Yogurt Dip
Looking for more Appetizer Recipes?
Check out my favorite Appetizers:
Prosciutto and Melon Bite Sized Appetizers
Bacon Stuffed Cherry Tomato Appetizers
Caprese Salad Skewers
Double Tomato Bruschetta
Oven Dried Tomato Bruschetta
Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls
Baked Jalapeno Poppers
Chicken and Pumpkin Tart Appetizers
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Meatballs
Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Pan Fried Onion Dip
- 2 large yellow onions
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Cut the onions in half and then slice them into 1/8-inch thick half-rounds. (You will have about 3 cups of onions.)
- Heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and saute for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool. *I did this the night before and stored the onions in a covered dish in the fridge. As I transferred the onions to the dish, I made sure to leave the excess grease in the pan.
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until smooth. Add the onions and mix well. Taste for seasonings. Serve at room temperature.
3 thoughts on “Pan Fried Onion Dip”
I have been staring at this exact recipe for years. I've always wanted to make it-it just looks so good! Maybe for the 4th!
Oo I love onions–this sounds fabulous!
Mmm, this sounds so perfect for a party! Ina does always have the best recipes 🙂