Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls
Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls are a healthier take on an appetizer from the popular chain restaurant Chili’s. Serve as a snack or meal!
I love the Southwestern Egg Rolls served at the popular chain restaurant Chili’s. Because they are deep friend, I know how horrible they must be nutrition-wise. I was so excited to see this recipe for Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls. I love to take otherwise unhealthy restaurant dishes and turn them into much healthier versions.
My cousin’s company sponsored a Trivia Night to benefit the Muscular Dystrophy Association. I decided to make these egg rolls to share with the table. These were a great addition to the treats our table brought, which I’m sure were critical to our team’s taking home the 1st place award!
While the Chili’s Southwestern Egg Rolls have chicken, these are vegetarian. That means you don’t have to worry about meat spoiling if you leave out on the table at a Trivia Night or party. They
I’ve never worked with store-bought egg roll wrappers before, but they are so neat! I have so many ideas of fillings for these – both savory and sweet. These are great leftover too.
UPDATE: These are still one of our family’s favorite appetizers! I’ve also made them into mini egg rolls using wonton wrappers. These are filling enough to be a meal, but also great for potlucks, trivia nights, and parties. I’ve served them with Restaurant Style Salsa and Fresh Homemade Salsa. Occasionally I’ll serve them with sour cream or taco ranch dressing.
Looking for more Appetizer ideas?
Check out my favorite appetizers:
Layered Taco Dip
Double Tomato Bruschetta
Prosciutto and Melon Bite Sized Appetizers
Bacon Stuffed Cherry Tomato Appetizers
Baked Jalapeno Poppers
Jalapeno Popper Dip
Caprese Salad Skewers
Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Chicken and Pumpkin Tart Appetizers
Looking for more Mexican or Tex Mex Recipes?
Check out these other recipes:
Costco Copycat Chicken Street Tacos
Pico de Gallo Chicken Quesadillas
Chicken and Spinach Quesadillas
Grilled Chicken Fajitas
Skillet Chicken Fajitas
Red Chili Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 cups frozen corn (thawed)
- 15 ounces canned black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach (thawed and squeezed dry)
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 4 ounces canned diced green chiles (drained)
- 4 green onions (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- egg roll wrappers (about 24 total)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Make the Filling:
- In a large bowl, combine everything but the egg roll wrappers. Mix well to blend.
Wrap the Egg Rolls:
- Lay an egg roll wrapper out on a work surface so that one of the corners is pointing toward you and place 1/4 cup of the filling in the center.
- Fold the tip closest to you up over the filling, roll a bit, then take the points pointing outward (to the sides) and fold them in toward the center.
- Continue rolling into an egg roll shape until a small part of the remaining point is still free. Dip a finger in water or beaten egg and lightly brush on the edges of the free corner. Finish rolling and press to seal closed.
- Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.
Bake the Egg Rolls:
- Lightly oil a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the sealed egg rolls on the baking sheet seam side down and spray the tops of the egg rolls with cooking spray.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until lightly brown, turning halfway through baking. Serve warm with salsa.