Cheesy Amish Breakfast Casserole
Cheesy Amish Breakfast Casserole is a gluten free breakfast with a make ahead option. Great for holidays, for potluck breakfasts, or for meal trains.
Many years ago, Bob invited a coworker and her family to have breakfast at our house. Her husband made this delicious Cheesy Amish Breakfast Casserole, and I made Blueberry Boy Bait to go with it. Bob absolutely loved this casserole, and I thought it would be perfect to serve at a brunch. In fact, I believe I served it at the next holiday brunch we hosted!
I have taken this casserole to MOPS meetings when it was my group’s turn to bring breakfast, and I’ve also made it for Meal Trains for new moms and families in need. It can be made from start to finish at once or assembled ahead the night before and baked in the morning.
This casserole is naturally gluten free and can be customized to suit your taste. The original recipe calls for bacon. I usually make it with turkey bacon, but it could be made with pork sausage or turkey sausage. I just use onions due to a certain family member who hates bell peppers (hi Mom!), but you could add in bell peppers or other veggies, or you can use O’Brien potatoes (with onions and peppers) rather than plain hash browns. Either cubed or shredded hash browns work!
Gluten Free Breakfast Casserole
This recipe is naturally gluten free! Check your hashbrown packaging to make sure there is no gluten contamination.
Looking for More Breakfast Recipes?
Check out these other breakfast recipes:
Crispy Potatoes and Breakfast Skillets
Breakfast Chicken Sausage Patties
Quiche Lorraine Florentine
Classic Cream Scones
Blueberry Boy Bait
Cranberry Coffee Cake
Ultimate Steel Cut Oatmeal
Monkey Bread Muffins
Best Blueberry Muffins
Allspice Crumb Muffins
Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
Ultimate Banana Bread
Pineapple Carrot Bread
Poppy Seed Bread
Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Blue Cornmeal Pancakes
Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes
Easy Blueberry Cheese Danish
Apple Cider Doughnuts
- 1 pound sliced bacon. diced (or 12 ounces turkey bacon)
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 4 cups frozen shredded or cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 9 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat; cook and stir bacon and onion until bacon is evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain. Transfer bacon and onion to a large bowl. Stir in potatoes, eggs, Cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, and Swiss cheese. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven until eggs are set and cheese is melted, 45 to 50 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
MAKE AHEAD INSTRUCTIONS:
- Assemble casserole the night before, cover, and refrigerate.
- Uncover dish and place on a rack in a cold oven. Heat to 350°F and bake for 50-60 minutes, or longer depending on thickness of the casserole. Cook until egg is set and casserole is completely heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.