Crispy Potatoes Breakfast Skillet
Crispy Potatoes Breakfast Skillet features the best, perfect crispy potatoes combined with sausage, veggies, and a poached egg on top. A filling meal for any time of day!
When Kerstin and I met for breakfast at Yolk, I got a “Skillet Your Way,” which consists of diced red potatoes sauteed with 3 ingredients of your choice, sprinkled with cheddar cheese, and topped with two eggs cooked your way. My ingredients were turkey sausage, onion, and green pepper. I wanted to add tomato as well, but didn’t want pay extra! My choice for the eggs was poached, with the idea that I could break the yolk over the rest of the skillet components. It was fantastic! I knew I had to recreate this one at home because it’s such a simple concept. As the holidays approached, this fell to the bottom of my to do list, but thankfully was not forgotten.
My first order of business was to find a good potato recipe. My mom was raving about Melissa d’Arabian’s Perfect Crispy Potatoes, and I decided those would be a great fit for the skillet. Once this recipe was chosen, the rest fell into place.
I served this as a dinner for Bob and I and we both LOVED it! First of all, Melissa’s potatoes are, as their name suggests, PERFECT! So crispy and actually pretty quick. They are a great stand-alone side dish for any dinner – and the possibilities for seasoning are endless – add some chili powder, some Italian herbs, etc.. I definitely plan to make them again as a side dish and in skillet form.
I really just love this skillet. I think the combination of ingredients works so well together. I had intended to add shredded cheddar cheese on top but ended up forgetting, and it was delicious regardless. I hesitate to call it a breakfast skillet because it’s good for any meal. One of my favorite parts is breaking the egg yolk and watching it run over the potatoes. If this is your type of thing, you’ll love this recipe!
Gluten Free Breakfast Skillet
This skillet is naturally gluten free!
LOOKING FOR MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES?
Check out these other breakfast recipes broken down by category:
Quiche Lorraine Florentine
Cheesy Amish Breakfast Casserole
Breakfast Chicken Sausage Patties
Ultimate Steel Cut Oatmeal
Skinny Chocolate Chip Scones
Classic Cream Scones
Dark Chocolate Chip Scones
Blueberry Boy Bait
Cranberry Christmas Cake
Pineapple Carrot Bread
Poppy Seed Bread
Ultimate Banana Bread
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
Allspice Crumb Muffins
Best Blueberry Muffins
Healthy Chocolate Banana Muffins
PANCAKES & WAFFLES:
Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes
Blue Cornmeal Pancakes
Crispy Potatoes Breakfast Skillet
For the Crispy Potatoes:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable/Canola oil
- 2 large russet potatoes (washed, peeled, and diced into equal 1/2-inch cubes)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
For the Skillet:
- 6 turkey or chicken breakfast sausage links (precooked or raw ground turkey sausage)
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes
- 1/2 yellow onion (diced)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (diced)
- grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
For Poaching the Eggs:
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 – 2 eggs per person
For the Crispy Potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large lidded saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the potato cubes, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Saute, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to high. Add the water, stir, and cover pan with a lid. Steam the potatoes until the water evaporates, about 3 or 4 more minutes. Every 1 to 2 minutes, open the lid long enough to stir the potatoes so they don’t stick.
- Lower the heat to medium, and saute another 1 to 2 minutes until all traces of water are gone. (I did this without the lid). Toss in the butter and stir to coat the potatoes.
- Spread the potatoes out on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven until the potatoes are crisp and browned to your liking, about 15 to 25 minutes. While the potatoes are baking, use the same pan to start sauteeing the vegetables.
Saute the Vegetables and Sausage:
- Heat onion and green pepper over medium-low heat until softened. Lightly season with salt and pepper. The residual butter and oil from the potatoes should be enough for the veggies; if not add a little more oil.
- Add tomatoes and stir. Cook for a few minutes until heated through. Remove the veggies to a separate dish and keep warm.
- If using precooked sausage links, add them to the pan and cook until heated through. If using raw ground turkey sausage, add the sausage to the pan and brown until cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
Poach the Eggs:
- To prepare the poaching liquid, fill a straight-sided pan with 2 inches of water and 1 tablespoon white vinegar. The white vinegar helps keep the egg from spreading in the water. Heat to a boil and then reduce to simmer.
- Break each egg individually into a small bowl. Swirl simmering water with a spoon to create a little whirlpool. Hold bowl containing raw egg close to the simmering water and, using a quick motion, dump each egg into the water.
- Cook approximately 3 1/2 minutes. Remove each egg from water using a slotted spoon and carefully place on a plate covered with paper towels to drain.
Assemble the Skillets:
- Toss the crispy potatoes in the pan with the onion, peppers, and tomatoes. Add turkey sausage, and toss to combine. Add cheddar cheese, if desired, and allow to melt.
- Divide the mixture among individual serving dishes and top with the poached eggs. Season the egg with salt and pepper, if desired. The skillet is best when the egg yolk is broken and the yolk allowed to run over the potatoes, vegetables, and sausage.
7 thoughts on “Crispy Potatoes Breakfast Skillet”
Great hearty breakfast!
Very pretty breakfast dish. Love the yolk oozing out like that. It makes it look appealing.
This is a great hearty recipe that is definitely a pleaser. I love love love skillet potatoes and yours look fantastic. I am totally craving this now.
This looks so delicious! I think it's going to be dinner for me tonight!
I LOVE breakfast for dinner and your skillet is making my mouth water! It looks so yummy and I wish I had one right now!
YUM! I love the dripping yolk all over those crispy and delicious potatoes.
Now thats breakfast. Looks amazing, great pictures!