Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes are so light and fluffy with a delicious buttery flavor and warm, juicy blueberries. These homemade pancakes are so easy and worth the effort!
To be honest, I don’t usually care for homemade pancakes, and I certainly don’t like the thick, dense pancakes from restaurants. My favorite pancakes are actually Aunt Jemima’s Complete Buttermilk Pancakes, but not made the way the box recommends. I like them with more water, so the batter is very pourable, making for a very fluffy, light pancake. This may sound like breakfast blasphemy to some, but like I said, I’m just being honest 🙂
Several weeks ago I had some leftover buttermilk from these Baby Bluebird Cupcakes, and I decided to search for a buttermilk pancake recipe. Because I had an abundance of Michigan blueberries in my freezer, I went with a recipe for Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes from Food Network.
These pancakes were great! They were light and fluffy and had a delicious buttery flavor. As much as I love blueberry pancakes, I’d love to make these without the blueberries too. These just might have been better than my beloved Aunt Jemima Pancakes!
These pancakes are super easy. The dry ingredients get mixed together in one bowl, and the wet ingredients in another bowl.
As with most recipes involving flour (other than bread!), you do not want to overmix the pancake batter. The wet and dry ingredients are folded together to form a lumpy batter. If you overmix the batter, the pancakes will become flat and heavy instead of light and fluffy. Heavy pancakes are my arch nemesis!
The batter is scooped onto a hot skillet or griddle, and the blueberries are sprinkled on top. The pancakes are cooked on each side until nice and golden.
Gluten Free Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
I haven’t tried it myself with this recipe, but I have good luck using Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour in place of all purpose in most recipes.
Looking for More Pancake Recipes?
Check out these unique Pancake recipes:
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes and Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes
Blue Cornmeal Pancakes
Looking for More Blueberry Recipes?
We love blueberries in our house! Check out these other recipes featuring Blueberries:
Blueberry Boy Bait
Blueberry Crumb Bars
Best Blueberry Muffins
Peach Blueberry Crumbles
Fresh Blueberry Pie
Blueberry Vanilla Cupcakes with Blueberry Ganache
Dark Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies with Blueberry Ganache
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (plus some for frying)
- 1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the buttermilk and melted butter. Fold the wet ingredients in the dry ingredients to form a lumpy batter, being careful not to overmix (Overmixing results in flat, heavy pancakes).
- Heat some butter in a skillet over medium heat. Spoon 1/3 cup batter into the skillet and sprinkle the top with some of the blueberries. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve with maple syrup or topping(s) of choice.