Dark Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies with Blueberry Ganache
Dark Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies with Blueberry Gananche are a super moist cake like brownie with the most delicious ganache frosting!
I feel like such a blog slacker lately! Between all of the traveling we have been doing and writing my dissertation, things have been so busy this month! Luckily I have been able to make a few things in the meantime.
Sometimes I like going through the archives of my favorite cooking blogs to discover recipes that may have been posted before I became a reader. Several months ago, I was doing this for Jenny’s blog, Picky Palate. I came across this recipe for Dark Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies with Blueberry Ganache – don’t they just sound decadent?!? I saved the recipe to my desktop and waited for an excuse to make them. Each time I opened my laptop, there the recipe sat taunting me.
I finally made the decision that I would make these for a lunch our lab was having to say goodbye to our summer undergraduate student before she returned to college. These brownies were delicious! Although I prefer a more chewy brownie, these are more cake-like, so I just pretended it was a very moist cake.
My favorite part is the ganache – seriously brilliant idea of Jenny’s to add the blueberry sauce/syrup – it gives the best flavor. I think many other versions of this would be great too – add a little raspberry or strawberry syrup, or even some Framboise! I loved this blueberry ganache so much that I created this Blueberry Vanilla Cupcakes with Blueberry Ganache recipe just to use it again!
In summary, the brownies were very good, especially if you consider them a super moist chocolate cake, and the ganache was amazing!!! One question to toss out there – why do people pronounce it “maRSCapone” when it’s spelled “maSCARpone”??? I think in Italian the proper way to say it “mas-car-pon-AY,” but what do we say in America without sounding like don’t know the word? This always bugs me!
Gluten Free Mascarpone Brownies
I haven’t tried it myself with this recipe, but I have good luck using Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour in place of all purpose in a number of baked goods!
Looking for More Brownie Recipes?
Check out these other Brownie recipes:
Best Gooey French Brownies
Ina’s Outrageous Brownies
Chewy Fudgy Brownies
Pumpkin Spice Kiss Brownies
Red Velvet Brownies with Cheesecake Swirl
Coconut Butterscotch Chip Brownies
Dairy Free Soy Free Brownies (MSPI)
Dark Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies with Blueberry Ganache
For the Brownies:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2/4 cup best-quality semisweet chocolate chips (such as Ghirardelli)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Hershey’s Dark cocoa powder
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese (softened)
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
For the Blueberry Ganache:
- 12 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch pan or two 9-inch round pans and set aside.
To make the Brownies:
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and bring it to just below a boil. Place the chocolate chips in a large bowl. Pour the hot butter over the chips and let stand for 30 seconds. Stir until completely melted.
- Sift in the sugar and cocoa powder. Beat in the mascarpone, eggs, and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Gently fold the flour and salt into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan(s) and spread evenly. Bake for 30 – 45 minutes for the 13 x 9 pan, or 20-30 minutes for the 9-inch round pans. Meanwhile make the ganache.
To make the Ganache:
- Place the chocolate chips in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Place the blueberries and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until the mixture becomes sauce-like and bubbly. Pour into a sieve or strainer that is placed over the bowl containing the chocolate chips to catch the blueberry liquid. Discard the remaining blueberries.
- Bring the cream and butter to just below boiling in a small saucepan over medium heat. Pour the hot mixture over the chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds. Stir the mixture until smooth. The ganache should be warm when used for spreading.
Assemble the Brownies:
- Once brownies are baked, cool for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Spread the warm ganache over the brownies. Allow the ganache to set completely before cutting into squares.
14 thoughts on “Dark Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies with Blueberry Ganache”
These look deadly! 🙂
I don't know why people say marscapone… it drives me nuts! I think mas-car-pon-ay or mas-car-pone-ee is the right way to say it… but no one would care if you said mascarpone either.
And these brownies look so fudgie and fabulous!
That blueberry ganche does sound delicious – what a great idea! We have a woman from Italy in our lab and I'm going to ask her about how to say mascarpone 🙂
My mom tries to pronounce all the itilian things like the Italians..and it bugs me to death. My husband and I always make fun of her! LOL
Brownies look divine
These brownies look so decadent! Thanks for sharing your recipe 🙂
these look so fun and different! love them!
Interesting brownie recipe! I am up for trying them!
Truly, truly, amazing. What a unique recipe.
We used to crack up when working the pastry counter at the bakery. People would come in asking for "Cream Brew-lee" instead of Creme Brulee.
Oh wow, what a yummy & unique treat!
i've never heard of anything like blueberry ganache — very interesting.
These look so decadent and i love the idea of blueberry ganache. Brilliant!
Haha… that is really funny about the pronunciation! I think I have been saying it wrong all along! lol…. dang!
The Mas-car-pone brownies look delicious!
WOW! I've never heard of blueberry ganache! Sounds delish!
Love your blog by the way 🙂
I used this recipe for a cake and it came out AWESOME. I switched out the vanilla extract for coconut extract and left out the blueberries in the ganache and I've never been complimented more on anything I've ever baked. Add ganache to middle of the cake as well as sides and top..WINNER!!