Summer Vegetable Pasta
Summer Vegetable Pasta helps you use up your summer garden harvest of yellow squash and zucchini in an easy seasonal meal.
My mom developed this recipe years ago when she would get fresh Chinese noodles from a client at the office where she worked. My sister and I loved it so much. There really is nothing like fresh noodles in a pasta dish. When she stopped working and no longer received the noodles, she started making the dish with linguine.
I haven’t had this pasta in years and was reminded of it when a neighbor gave us a HUGE zucchini and yellow squash from her sister’s farm. Just to give you an idea of how big this zucchini was, I used 1/3 of it in this pasta, 1/3 to make 2 big loaves of Zucchini Bread, and the 1/3 for other recipes!
Here’s a picture- keep in mind those bananas are the scale bar and they are average-sized bananas!
I’m so glad I’ve rediscovered this recipe. The girls were a little leery of the veggies but actually tried them. Pasta is always a hit with them!
Gluten Free Option for Summer Vegetable Pasta
Make this with gluten free pasta for an entirely gluten free meal!
Looking for other Pasta Dishes?
Check out my favorite Pasta recipes:
Roasted Vegetable Orzo
Turkey Lasagna St. Louis Style
Pasta with Sun Dried Tomatoes
Baked Ricotta Cavatelli in a Mascarpone Cream Sauce
Chicken with Dijon Mascarpone Marsala Sauce and Pasta
Rigatoni with Sausage, Pepper, and Onions
Looking for more Summer Recipes?
Check out my favorite warm weather recipes:
Double Tomato Bruschetta
Oven Dried Tomatoes / Oven Dried Tomato Bruschetta
The Best Corn and Tomato Salsa
Caprese Salad Skewers
Bacon Stuffed Cherry Tomato Appetizers
Prosciutto and Melon Bite Sized Appetizers
Watermelon Jello Jiggler Snacks
Italian Charcoal Grilled Corn
Potatoes and Onions
Homemade P.F. Chang’s Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Tomates Provencales (Baked Tomatoes)
Bruschetta Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Grilled Shrimp with Spicy Lemon Garlic Sauce
Grilled Chicken Fajitas
Chicken Street Tacos – Costco Copycat
Chicken and Vegetable Bake
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 onion (cut in half and then thinly sliced)
- 1 – 2 large yellow squash (cut in half lengthwise, seeds scooped and discarded, cut into 1/4-inch slices)
- 1 – 2 zucchini (cut in half lengthwise then cut into 1/4-inch slices)
- Italian or Greek seasoning
- Dill weed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tomatoes (peeled, seeded and chopped)
- 1 pound spaghetti or linguine
- lots of Parmesan cheese (1/2 cup to 1 cup or more if you desire, plus extra for finishing)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the olive oil. Add minced garlic. Sauté for 30 seconds, then add onion, squash and zucchini. Season with Italian or Greek seasoning, dill, salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften. May need to put a lid on top of the veggies after a while to allow the steam to help soften.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in salted water according to package directions.
- After vegetables have softened and started to brown, add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 1 minute. Add the hot, drained pasta to the pan and stir to combine. Add the grated Parmesan cheese. Taste to check if salt is needed.
- Serve with extra Parmesan on top.