Homemade P. F. Chang’s Chicken Lettuce Wraps
This version of Chicken Lettuce Wraps is a P.F. Chang’s copycat recipe. Here I’ve simplified and restructured the original recipe, which is now one of our favorite dinners!
Just over a year ago I posted a P.F. Chang’s copycat recipe for Chicken Lettuce Wraps, but I already feel it’s time to revisit this recipe. First of all, this has become one of Bob and my favorite dinners, and we’ve adapted the recipe to suit our tastes and rewritten it in a more logical way.
Second of all, I was never happy with the picture I took. I was using a new light box I had made and the coloring was off. Since getting my new camera, I decided to re-photograph these wraps, and I’m much happier with the outcome. These wraps are seriously delicious, and I highly recommend the recipe!
Gluten Free Option
Use gluten free soy sauce for an entirely gluten free dish!
LOOKING FOR MORE ASIAN RECIPES?
Check out my favorites to make at home:
Honey Chicken Kabobs
Red Curry Rice Noodles with Chicken
Simplified Chicken Pad Thai
Coconut Curry Chicken
Chicken Fried Rice (soy free)
Skinny Orange Chicken
Garlic Chicken with Rice Noodles
Garlic Chicken with Rice
Homemade P.F. Chang’s Chicken Lettuce Wraps
For the wraps:
- 2 tablespoons Canola oil (divided)
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts (minced into the size of peas)
- 2/3 cup fresh mushrooms (minced into the size of peas)
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4-6 iceberg or butter lettuce leaves
For the stir fry sauce:
- 4 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
For the special sauce:
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- dash of sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon hot mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon garlic and red chile paste
- Before beginning recipe, have mushrooms and water chestnuts chopped and set aside.
- Prepare stir fry sauce by adding ingredients to a small bowl and mixing well with a small whisk or fork, set aside.
- Make the special sauce by dissolving the sugar in the water in a small bowl. Add the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ketchup, lemon juice, and sesame oil. Mix well and set aside until ready to serve. Combine the hot water with the hot mustard and set this aside as well.
- Bring 1 tablespoon oil to high heat in a wok or large frying pan. Saute ground chicken until cooked through.
- With the pan still on high heat, add the other tablespoon of oil. Add the garlic, onions, water chestnuts, and mushrooms to the pan. Add the stir fry sauce to the pan and saute the mixture for a couple minutes.
- To complete the “special sauce,” add your desired measurement of the mustard and garlic chili sauce to the special sauce mixture to reach preferred spiciness.
- Serve the chicken mixture in the lettuce cups and top with “special sauce” as desired.
2 thoughts on “Homemade P. F. Chang’s Chicken Lettuce Wraps”
I love lettuce wraps too. Great photo!!!
You've reminded me that I wanted to make these! They look sooo tasty 🙂