Garlic Chicken is a healthy, flavorful stir fry chicken with veggies. You can customize this dish with your favorite veggies. Serve it over rice or rice noodles. This recipe is naturally gluten free!
When I was growing up, my mom made this recipe often, and we called it Chinese Chicken, although the ‘official’ name is Garlic Chicken. I’ve made it many times on my own, and Bob and I both love it.
It has a wonderful, slightly sweet sauce, and it’s so healthy. This recipe is a quick weeknight meal. The chicken is marinated in a quick marinade of soy sauce and cornstarch. Meanwhile, the veggies are prepped as well as a stir fry sauce. After, the chicken is sauteed and the veggies and sauce are added to finish the dish. Like most stir fry recipes, it comes together quick at the end and can be customized with your favorite vegetables.
We usually serve Garlic Chicken over white or brown rice. I recently made it and tossed it with some thick stick rice noodles instead of serving with rice. We loved this!!! Bob even said it was as good as anything he could order in a restaurant – that’s a big compliment coming from him!
The easiest way to soften the rice noodles is to follow the method in my Simplified Pad Thai recipe. Then simply stir drained rice noodles into pan of stir fry and continue cooking for a few minutes until noodles reach desired doneness.
Gluten Free Option for Garlic Chicken
This stir fry dish is naturally gluten free. Serve it over rice or rice noodles for a gluten free meal. I like to use rice stick noodles as they are bit thicker. As with any food allergy or intolerance, please check your packing for possible cross contamination concerns.
Looking for more Asian meals to make at home?
Check out my favorite Asian recipes:
Honey Chicken Kabobs
Garlic Chicken with Rice Noodles
Simplified Pad Thai
Red Curry Rice Noodles with Chicken
Coconut Curry Chicken
P.F. Chang’s Copycat Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Chicken Fried Rice (Soy Free)
Skinny Orange Chicken
Chili Coconut Chicken Soup
For the marinade:
- 1 heaping teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (reduced sodium is fine)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite-sized pieces)
For the stir fry:
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed, vegetable, Canola or olive oil
- 1 cup broccoli flowerettes
- 2 carrots (cut into match-sticks)
- fresh or canned mushrooms (optional)
- 3 green onions with some tops (sliced)
- 1 can water chestnut slices
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon (or 1 cup chicken broth)
- 2 teaspoons chopped or grated garlic
For the stir fry sauce:
- 3 heaping teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Mix together marinade ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Add chicken, stir to coat, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut vegetables and dissolve chicken bouillon into 1 cup hot water. Make stir fry sauce.
- Saute chicken in 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Stir-fry until chicken is white. Add the chicken bouillon water or broth, the carrots, and garlic. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Uncover and add the rest of the vegetables and the stir fry sauce. Stir fry until chicken is cooked through and vegetables have softened. Serve over cooked rice.