Chilli Coconut Chicken Soup
Chilli Coconut Chicken Soup has Thai flavors in a 30-minute soup that is gluten free and dairy free. Serve over rice for a heartier meal.
One of Bob’s favorite type of food is soup. I always tease him that he likes “ladies lunch” food, because he’s perfectly happy with a bowl of soup and a side salad. Sometimes I’ll ask him if he’d like me to make watercress sandwiches with the crust cut off 🙂 Of course I’m only kidding, and I’m glad that he likes soup so much because he doesn’t mind if we have it for dinner quite often!
This is another soup from my “Quick Short Chicken Recipes” cookbook. The first I posted was the Chicken, Leek and Tomato Soup. I’ve been making it for a few years now. We used to just eat it as a soup, then I started adding a little bit of Jasmine rice to the bowl before putting in the soup. It gives the dish a little more substance and a nice flavor. Adding rice noodles might be good too.
Gluten Free Chilli Coconut Soup
This recipe is naturally gluten free!
Looking for More Soup Recipes?
Check out some of my favorite soups and chilis:
Wisconsin Beer Cheese Soup
Chicken Sonoma Stew
Chicken, Leek and Tomato Soup
Simplified Chicken Tortilla Soup
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Leek and Potato Soup
Roasted Tomato Soup
Homemade Turkey Soup
Black Bean Soup
Low Carb White Chicken Chili
Classic Turkey Chili
Fancy Turkey Chili
Turkey Pumpkin Chili
Chilli Coconut Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4- inch piece fresh ginger (peeled and grated)
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced into 1 1/4-inch lengths (5-6 )
- 1 chicken breast (thinly sliced)
- 1/3 cup sweet chili sauce
- 15 ounces canned lite coconut milk (brought up to 2 cups with regular milk)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- brown, white or Jasmine rice
- If desired, start cooking the Jasmine rice according to package directions.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over high heat, add the ginger and spring onions and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until golden. Add the sweet chili sauce and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add 1 1/3 cups water and the coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Add the lime juice, season with salt and add a little more sweet chili sauce, if desired. If using Jasmine rice, spoon into soup bowls, then top with the soup. Serve with lime wedges.
3 thoughts on “Chilli Coconut Chicken Soup”
what a crazy combination of flavors. looks and sounds wonderous!
Looks yummy, I love soups with coconut broth! Great idea to add the rice to make it a bit more filling too!
I did just get back from ATS – how fun would have been to get to meet there? Maybe next time 🙂
I might need that cookbook! I with Bob! “Ladies Lunch” rules! 🙂