Roasted Tomato Soup – Panera Copycat
Roasted Tomato Soup – Panera Copycat is a version of Panera’s Creamy Tomato Soup made with vine ripened fresh tomatoes that are roasted then combined with sauteed onions and garlic and blended with fresh basil. A great way to use up summer tomatoes!
I know it’s still warm out, but I wanted to make this soup while the delicious summer tomatoes are still in stores and while my basil plant still has some life in it! This soup was SO delicious! The red pepper flakes make it pretty spicy, which is nice. We had just the soup, but it would be great alongside a grilled cheese sandwich. This was also my first time using my immersion blender- LOVE IT! I can’t tell you how much easier it is not to transfer the soup to food processor and back. I made some Parmesan Garlic Polenta Croutons (adapted from Proud Italian Cook).
Gluten Free Roasted Tomato Soup
This recipe is naturally gluten free.
LOOKING FOR MORE SOUP AND CHILI RECIPES?
Check out these other Soups and Chilis:
Wisconsin Beer Cheese Soup
Leek and Potato Soup
Homemade Turkey Soup
Black Bean Soup
Chicken Sonoma Stew
Simplified Chicken Tortilla Soup
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Fancy Turkey Chili
Turkey Pumpkin Chili
Low Carb White Chicken Chili
Classic Turkey Chili
- 3 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes (cut in half and insides removed)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 28 ounces canned whole or chopped tomatoes (with juice)
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss tomatoes with 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet covered in foil and roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons olive oil, butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes until the onions start to brown. Add the canned tomatoes, roasted tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender (or food processor) to puree the soup. Adjust salt if necessary.
- Stir in the cream / half and half if using.