Pasta with Sun Dried Tomatoes
Pasta with Sun Dried Tomatoes combines cooked pasta with fresh tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and a homemade sun dried tomato dressing. These classic Italian flavors elevate pasta salad to a new level. Serve as an easy weeknight meal or take to a party as a pasta side dish!
This post was originally published on June 18, 2010. It has been updated in August 2020 with new photos and additional commentary.
This is a great summer pasta! Tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil are some of my favorite flavors, and this dish combines them in perfect balance. Ina has a knack for great pasta dishes, so I knew I would love this one. I served it as our main dish, but it would be a great side as well.
I cut this recipe in half except for the pasta because I wanted to stretch the ingredients; however, I think Ina had it right, so I’ve posted the original. I also left out the olives because Bob hates them. Although I had intended to add them to my plate, I forgot, and I actually think I would prefer it without olives. For that reason, I omitted them from the recipe.
I made this pasta recipe as an easy weeknight meal, but it would have been a great side dish to take to a party. It is especially great if you have a ton of fresh basil in your garden like I do – the leaves are gigantic! 🙂
Here are all of the ingredients, broken down into steps.
Prepare the Pasta
The pasta is boiled in salted water with some olive oil to prevent it from sticking together. You can use any shape pasta you’d like. I’ve used spaghetti and also smaller type noodles. For gluten free, use a gluten free pasta.
Make the Dressing
These ingredients are combined to make the sun dried tomato dressing. As with any vinaigrette, oil and vinegar are combined. In this case, it’s extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar. I like to use a glass measuring cup and small wire whisk to emulsify the dressing.
Assemble the Pasta
To assemble the dish, the cooked pasta is tossed with the dressing and diced fresh tomato, diced fresh mozzarella, and sun dried tomatoes.
Garnish with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
Original photo posted on June 18, 2010:
Gluten Free Pasta with Sun Dried Tomatoes
Use gluten free pasta in place of regular pasta for an entirely gluten free pasta dish! This recipe is also vegetarian.
Looking for more Pasta Recipes?
Check out these other Pasta recipes:
Roasted Vegetable Lemon Orzo Salad
Healthy Pasta Primavera Salad
Summer Vegetable Pasta
Baked Ricotta Cavatelli
Pasta with Sun Dried Tomatoes
To Make the Pasta:
- 1/2 pound fusilli (spirals pasta, or pasta of choice (I used angel hair))
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil
For the Dressing:
- 5 sun dried tomatoes in oil (drained)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 garlic clove (diced)
- 1 teaspoon capers (drained)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 cup packed basil leaves (julienned)
To Finish the Dish:
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes (medium-diced)
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella (medium-diced)
- 6 sun dried tomatoes in oil (drained and chopped)
Cook the Pasta:
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water with a splash of oil to keep it from sticking together. Boil for 12 minutes, or according to the directions on the package. Drain well and allow to cool. While the pasta cooks, prepare the dressing.
Prepare the Dressing:
- While the pasta cooks. Combine the sun dried tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil, garlic, capers, salt, and pepper in a food processor until almost smooth.
Finish the Pasta:
- Place the pasta in a bowl and add the tomatoes, mozzarella, and chopped sun dried tomatoes.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta, sprinkle with the Parmesan and basil, and toss well.
4 thoughts on “Pasta with Sun Dried Tomatoes”
I made something similar this week, but this looks so much better with the sun-dried tomatoes in the dressing – yum!
My basil is really growing now, so I will have to make this pasta. I love sun-dried tomatoes in anything.
Fantastic pasta dish!
Thanks for sharing! I absolutely love any summer pasta recipes especially ones loaded up with basil!