Dark Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies
Dark Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies are a chocolate cookie base with a maraschino cherry on top, covered with cherry chocolate glaze, and then baked. These cookies are festive decorated with sprinkles!
My good friend Melissa told me about these Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies she discovered from her coworker. Her description alone was enough – I had to make them.
Bob and my dad both love chocolate-covered cherries, so I knew these cookies would go over well with them. I was surprised by how much I liked them – they are fantastic!!! The cookie part itself is so good, I would be happy with those alone, but the cherry-chocolate glaze is amazing, and I actually enjoyed the maraschino cherry (which I typically don’t eat).
I used dark chocolate cocoa powder and bittersweet chocolate for the glaze to make these Dark Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies, but you can certainly use semisweet or even milk chocolate. Each cookie has an entire maraschino cherry inside and covered with the glaze before baking.
I made these cookies for Christmas so I decorated half of them with Christmas sprinkles, but these cookies would be great for Valentine’s Day. They would look so cute with some heart-shaped sprinkles! (See Update below!)
I made these with Christmas sprinkles, but they would be perfect with Valentine’s Day sprinkles or with multi-colored sprinkles for anytime!
Gluten Free Option
I have not tried it myself yet, but these cookies could be made with gluten free flour such as Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour.
Looking for more cookies?
Want more cherry recipes?
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour or gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dark or regular cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature (1 stick)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 10-ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained (reserve juice for topping)
- 6- ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- juice reserved from jar of cherries
Make the Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and soda, blending well; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar on low speed until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Gradually add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture; beat until smooth and well blended.
- With hands, shape dough into 1-inch balls; place on ungreased baking sheet. Press down center of dough with thumb. Drain maraschino cherries well, reserving juice. Place a cherry in the center indention of each cookie.
Make the Glaze:
- In small saucepan, combine chocolate pieces and sweetened condensed milk; heat on low until chocolate is melted. Stir in 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of the reserved cherry juice. If frosting seems too thick to spoon over cookies, thin with a little more cherry juice.
- Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the topping over each cherry, spreading to cover cherry.
Bake the Cookies:
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes, or until done. Remove to wire rack to cool. Store in airtight container.