Fiesta Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas
Fiesta Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas are an enchilada casserole with chicken and vegetables topped with a creamy spicy sauce and cheese.
This is a great recipe courtesy of Jenny at Picky Palate. Jenny always posts delicious-sounding (and looking!) recipes and most are her own creations! She also has a wonderful ability to sneak in vegetables and make them taste great at the same time.
I’ve made these Fiesta Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas following the traditional recipe, and as a casserole (courtesy of Mary Ann at Meet Me in the Kitchen). Both ways are wonderful. I’ve tried both flour and corn tortillas, and I think I prefer the corn only because they hold up better against the sauce, especially with leftovers, which you probably will have!
These are delicious leftover. Make them on a Sunday and have lunch for the rest of the week!
I made this recipe casserole style. The filling has chicken, Rotel tomatoes, and fresh spinach. So many pretty colors.
A creamy enchilada sauce is made by combining prepared red enchilada sauce with cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and some milk.
The casserole is built by alternating layers of corn tortillas and filling. Then the sauce is poured on top and cheese added as the final layer. The casserole is baked until cooked through and cheesy is melted and bubbly.
Gluten Free Enchiladas
Use gluten free cream of chicken soup. Most brands of corn tortillas are gluten free. Please check your packaging for cross contamination.
Looking for More Mexican / Tex/Mex Recipes?
Check out these favorites:
Chicken Enchiladas with Red Chili Sauce
Costco Copycat Chicken Street Tacos
Costco Copycat Cilantro Lime Crema
Panera Chile Lime Ranch Dressing
Panera Southwest Chile Lime Ranch Salad with Chicken
Grilled Chicken Fajitas
Skillet Chicken Fajitas
Chicken Mexican Pizzas
Jalapeno Popper Dip
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Red Chili Chicken and Rice
Pico de Gallo Chicken Quesadillas
Chicken and Spinach Quesadillas
Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls
Layered Taco Dip
For the Filling:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion (finely minced)
- 1 jalapeno (minced)
- 3 fresh garlic cloves (minced)
- 10 ounces baby spinach leaves (chopped)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cooked and shredded)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 10 ounces canned Mild Rotel diced tomatoes with Green Chilies
For the Sauce:
- 16 ounces canned cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 8 ounces sour cream (regular or light)
- 1/2 cup milk
- pinch of salt
To Assemble the Enchiladas:
- corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and jalapeno until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chopped spinach and cook until wilted down. Stir in chicken, salt, pepper, garlic salt, cumin, and diced tomatoes. Reduce heat to low and simmer.
- To make the sauce, place soup, enchilada sauce, sour cream, milk, and salt into a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir until warmed through.
- Ladle a small amount of sauce into the bottom of a large 9×13-inch baking dish just enough to cover the bottom. Layer the tortillas and then spread some of the chicken mixture on top, spreading evenly. Repeat until all of the chicken mixture is used, ending with a layer of tortillas.
- Top evenly with the sauce and shredded cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes until hot and bubbly.