Chicken and Spinach Quesadillas
Chicken and Spinach Quesadillas are filled with marinated and seasoned chicken, fresh spinach, and Monterey Jack cheese. Served with salsa and sour cream, these are one of the best at home quesadillas I’ve had!
This post was originally published on May 15, 2009. In July 2020 it was updated with photos and additional commentary.
These are seriously the best quesadillas – and I’ve had a lot of quesadillas! A chicken quesadilla is typically my stand-by order at restaurants when nothing else pops out at me. I’ve made quesadillas at home before, and they’ve been good, but these are better than good. And paired with Fresh Homemade Salsa salsa – OMG! Bob said they were the best quesadillas he’s ever had, and he doesn’t just hand out compliments when it comes to my cooking because I urge him to be brutally honest.
I was having a frenzied day in the kitchen the first time I made these. It was the night after I had frosted and decorated these Spring Chick Cupcakes and these Carrot Cupcakes, plus I had an 11-hour work day, so I was exhausted. I didn’t start making them until 7pm, and when I saw the “marinate for at least 1 hour” bit, I was having none of that! I decided to cut the chicken into small pieces before marinating to speed up the process. I guess I ended up changing the recipe a bit, but the original is linked below, which includes button mushrooms.
UPDATE: After posting this, I made these Pico de Gallo Chicken Quesadillas which we loved as well. The filling consists of sauteed chicken, onions, and green peppers that is tossed with homemade pico de gallo.
Gluten Free Chicken and Spinach Quesadillas
I recently tried Mission Brand Gluten Free flour tortillas and really like them. They are super soft and taste better than other brands I have tried.
Original photo posted in 2009:
LOOKING FOR MORE MEXICAN FOOD?
Check out these favorites:
Pico de Gallo Chicken Quesadillas
Chicken Street Tacos – Costco Copycat
Grilled Chicken Fajitas
Skillet Chicken Fajitas
Chicken Mexican Pizzas
Chicken Enchiladas with Red Chili Sauce
Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls
Layered Taco Dip
Jalapeno Popper Dip
Chicken Tortilla Soup
And for dessert . . .
Tres Leches Coconut Cupcakes with Dulce de Leche Buttercream
Mexican Chocolate Cupcakes with Cheesecake Filling
Sweet Corn Cake
Cinnamon Ice Cream
Easy Homemade Dulce de Leche
Samoa Cupcakes with Easy Dulce de Leche Buttercream
or see all of my Mexican recipes HERE.
For the marinade:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (plus extra for sauteing/grilling)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 large or 2 small chicken breasts (cut into small pieces)
- 1 large clove garlic (grated)
- fajita seasoning to taste (~1/8-1/4 package, I prefer McCormick)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach leaves (torn)
For the quesadillas:
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 large flour tortillas
- sour cream
- Add marinade ingredients to a resealable plastic bag and squeeze to mix. Marinate in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat with a little olive oil. Add grated garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add all of the contents of the plastic bag and sprinkle on fajita seasoning. Cook until chicken is done and moisture is absorbed. Toss in torn spinach and cook until wilted, remove from heat.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat and brush lightly with olive oil. Place a tortilla down on the pan, add some Monterey Jack cheese, then 1/2 or 1/3 of the chicken/spinach mixture (depending on how much you have), and top with more of the cheese. Fold over the tortilla and cook until tortilla is crispy and grill marks have formed. Flip to cook other side. Repeat with remaining quesadilla(s).
- Cut quesadillas with a pizza cutter. Serve with salsa and sour cream.