Chicken Mexican Pizzas
These Chicken Mexican Pizzas are a Taco Bell Copycat. Baked not fried, these are a healthier version of the popular entree you can make at home.
I have a confession: I like Taco Bell. I know some people think it’s gross or the Mexican food equivalent of McDonald’s, but I’ve always really liked it. One of my favorite things to order there is the Chicken Mexican Pizza. Yes, it’s greasy and unhealthy, but it’s soooo good. I never even thought to try making it at home. When I saw this recipe for Chicken Mexican Pizzas, it hit me how great of an idea this is. The ingredients are simple; there’s no reason this can’t be made at home – and modified to be much healthier.
Bob and I LOVED this dinner. I will make it again and again – it was great! I just diced up the chicken this time (even though the recipe called for shredded), but next time I will try the shredded. Other than that it was perfect!!! The best part is that you can customize it for picky eaters – I left off the beans on mine and Bob left off the olives on his. Great for a picky household like ours 🙂
Gluten Free Chicken Mexican Pizzas
I recently tried Mission Brand Gluten Free flour tortillas and really like them. I think they would work well for this recipe.
LOOKING FOR MORE MEXICAN FOOD?
Check out these favorites:
Chicken Street Tacos Costco Copycat
Grilled Chicken Fajitas
Skillet Chicken Fajitas
Chicken Enchiladas with Red Chili Sauce
Chicken and Spinach Quesadillas
Pico de Gallo Chicken Quesadillas
Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls
Layered Taco Dip
Jalapeno Popper Dip
Chicken Tortilla Soup
And for dessert . . .
Tres Leches Coconut Cupcakes with Dulce de Leche Buttercream
Mexican Chocolate Cupcakes with Cheesecake Filling
Sweet Corn Cake
Cinnamon Ice Cream
Easy Homemade Dulce de Leche
Samoa Cupcakes with Easy Dulce de Leche Buttercream
or see all of my Mexican recipes HERE.
- 1 large or 2 small chicken breasts (diced into small pieces)
- Olive oil
- Taco or fajita seasoning or your own blend of spices (such as chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and salt and pepper)
- 4 medium-large flour tortillas
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 can refried beans or jalapeno bean dip
- 1 tomato (seeds and juice removed, diced)
- 1 small jar taco sauce (recommended: Taco Bell brand)
- Mexican blend cheese (shredded)
- Small bunch of green onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 small can sliced black olives
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat some olive oil in a skillet. Add chicken and taco or fajita seasoning (or just shake in some chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and salt and pepper). Add a little water if necessary to dissolve the spices. Alternatively, add precooked shredded or diced chicken to the pan without oil and add spices and water to season meat.
- Spray both sides of each tortilla with cooking spray and place them on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 3 minutes, then flip and bake for about 3 more minutes until golden brown and crispy. (Make sure to watch them closely because they can burn easily).
- Remove tortillas from oven and turn oven up to 400 degrees F.
- Heat refried beans/bean dip in a small bowl, if desired.
- To assemble the pizzas: spread beans on top of one of the tortillas, then add the chicken, top with second tortilla, spread taco sauce evenly on top, add cheese, tomatoes, green onion, and olives.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut each pizza into 4 slices using a pizza cutter.