Citrus Glazed Butter Cookies
Citrus Glazed Butter Cookies are a Classic Butter Spritz Cookie with citrus glazes on top. The result is bright tasting Lime, Orange, or Lemon Spritz Cookies. Choose your favorite or try all 3. A new twist on a classic flavor!
I hope everyone had a great Labor Day weekend! Bob and I hit up the Labor Day sales to buy some furniture for our new house. All I have been thinking of lately is furniture! So many decisions! Meanwhile, I was invited to do a product review for CSN Stores, and what is one of the focus of one of the many CSN stores – furniture! I have been browsing all of their kitchen tables and dining room sets to get a good idea of the styles we like.
As we get closer to Closing Day for our home, things are getting busier. Have I even started packing yet? NO!
I wanted to share this quick recipe with you because it was a huge hit at the “Hello and Goodbye” party we held a few weeks ago. I have had this idea for a very long time, and finally forced myself to make it happen.
The big Whole Foods in Chicago sells these incredibly delicious lemon-glazed butter cookies made at a local bakery – they tasted very much like my grandma’s Classic Butter Cookies with a lemon glaze. So, I figured why not try glazing my grandma’s butter cookies with different citrus glazes – lemon, lime, and orange to be exact.
I made 3 separate glazes and added them to the cookies using a small spoon. You could also brush them on using my favorite silicone pastry brushes.
The result – a delicious, citrusy, buttery cookie! These cookies are normally a little crispy in texture but the glaze made them softer. Overall, the favorite citrus glaze of the night (because I asked of course!) was lime. I was a bit surprised but certainly agreed. The lemon and the lime were in close running, with the orange slightly behind because we decided it didn’t have as prominent a flavor.
The glazing is as simple as can be and adds a new flavor and color to already amazing cookies!
Some of the cookies got a little more done that I’d like, so I drizzled them with chocolate. These went fast!
Gluten Free Citrus Glazed Butter Cookies
I make the Classic Butter Cookies using Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour and have good results. The cookies taste exactly the same, they are just a bit more crumbly and fragile. The glaze is naturally gluten free!
Looking for More Cookie Recipes?
Check out these other Cookie recipes:
Christmas Butter Cookies
Roll Out Sugar Cookies
Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies
Browned Butter Sugar Cookies
Graham Cracker S’mores Cookies
Dark Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies
Thick and Chewy Double Chocolate Cookies
Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Snowflake Gingerbread Cookies
Brown Sugar and Spice Winter Mitten Cookies
Santa’s Whiskers Cookies
Nut Free Linzer Cookies
- pastry brush
- 1 batch Classic Butter Cookies (see note)
For the Glazes:
- 1 cup powdered sugar (divided)
- 1 lime
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- Prepare butter cookies as directed and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Place 1/3 cup powdered sugar in each of 3 bowls. Grate some of the zest of each fruit into each bowl – the amount varies by personal preference, but I believe I used the zest from the whole lemon, the whole lime, and half of the orange.
- Juice the lime, lemon, and orange separately.
- Add each citrus juice to each bowl, a little at a time, stirring to observe consistency. You would like the glaze to run off the back of the spoon – not too thick. I used approximately the juice of 1 small lemon, 1 small lime, and 1/2 small orange – although I held back a little juice from each. This will depend on how ‘juicy’ your fruit is!
- Place waxed paper under cookies on wire racks. Spoon glaze over cookies, making sure to distribute zest as evenly as possible. Let dry for several hours. Serve or store in an airtight container.