Browned Butter Sugar Cookies
Browned Butter Sugar Cookies are chewy and flavorful with the nutty notes of browned butter. An elevated flavor to a basic sugar cookie.
I received the Baking Bites Cookbook in a giveaway about a year ago. I want to make just about every recipe in the book! I decided on these sugar cookies to take to a pool party this past summer. I had never made browned butter before, but I wanted to try it. (Probably the only thing I had ever eaten with browned butter was some lobster potstickers with a browned butter miso sauce from Roy’s – so incredibly good.)
My mom said these were one of her favorite cookies! She had a similar positive reaction to Nicole’s Mexican Chocolate Black Bottom Cupcakes, so I suspect my mom might love anything from this cookbook!
These cookies were chewy and had great flavor and texture. The original recipe uses half a vanilla bean in the melted butter mixture during the browning process. I don’t have vanilla beans on hand and opted to skip it since they are pretty expensive. I’m sure the vanilla flavor would have been fantastic though, so if you have some on hand, try it and let me know! 🙂
Gluten Free Browned Butter Sugar Cookies
I have not tried this myself with this recipe, but I have good luck using Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour in place of all purpose flour in cookie recipes.
Looking for More Cookie Recipes?
Check out my favorite Cookie recipes:
Butter Spritz Cookies
Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies
[Not My] Granny’s Sugar Cookies
Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars
My Grandma’s Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
Dark Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies
Thick and Chewy Double Chocolate Cookies
Santa’s Whiskers Cookies
Nut Free Linzer Cookies
Snowflake Gingerbread Cookies
Brown Sugar and Spice Winter Mitten Cookies
Graham Cracker S’mores Cookies
Browned Butter Sugar CookiesMeghan
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add butter to a small saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until butter begins to melt. Continue to cook butter until it has turned an amber color and smells toasty but not burnt. The butter will darken quickly once it begins to turn golden, so watch carefully.
- Pour butter from the saucepan into a small bowl, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan with a spatula. Allow to cool for 10 – 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, egg, and vanilla extract. Add the cooled butter. Stir in flour mixture, mixing only until no streaks of flour remain.
- Drop 1-inch balls onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes, until the edges are set and just start to brown.
- Cool cookies on a wire rack.
2 thoughts on “Browned Butter Sugar Cookies”
browned butter makes everything better!!
Great recipe thank you for sharing,i too submit recipes and add them to my cookbook.also its a great fundraising idea. THANKS AGAIN.HAPPYCOOKDIVA.DAVENPORT FL.