Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken is a crock pot recipe of Panda Express’s orange chicken. Chicken breast pieces in an orange sauce served with rice.
Keeping in the spirit of my “Blog Vision,” I wanted to share this recipe from A Year of CrockPotting. In the past, I have made things I that I simply don’t like, not because of an error on my part and not something that can be fixed by tweaking ingredients. Those recipes I don’t bother posting, thinking that you will wonder, “Why is she posting this recipe if it’s not good?” However, I do feel like I should post recipes that have real potential but didn’t quite measure up due to my mistakes or personal preference.
This dinner was good, but has a very prominent orange flavor, perhaps a little too much orange for my taste. I think my problem was I was expecting it to taste a little more like Panda Express Orange Chicken, which doesn’t really taste orange at all in fact!
I think it’s a great idea, and if you like orange you will love it. I will have to figure out a way to lessen the orange flavor, and I think it will be great. I do feel that chicken cooked in a slow-cooker can tend to be dry (especially if you only have a humongo slow-cooker like mine!) , so try to make sure you don’t cook too long.
LOVE ORANGE CHICKEN? Try this Skinny Orange Chicken!
Gluten Free Orange Chicken
Use a gluten free flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour, in place of all purpose flour for an entirely gluten free recipe.
Looking for More Asian Recipes?
Check out these other Asian recipes:
Skinny Orange Chicken
Red Curry Rice Noodles with Chicken
Coconut Curry Chicken
Garlic Chicken with Rice or Rice Noodles
Simplified Pad Thai
Honey Chicken Kabobs
P.F. Chang’s Copycat Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Chicken Fried Rice (Soy Free)
Chili Coconut Chicken Soup
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken (cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 1/2 cup flour
- olive oil (for browning chicken)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (reduce the amount if using table salt)
- 6 ounces pulp free orange juice concentrate, thawed (1/2 can frozen)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- Use a 4 quart slow-cooker for best results.
- Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour, and shake off the excess.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and brown the chicken on all sides. Don’t fully cook.
- Place chicken in slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange juice concentrate, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, salt, and ketchup. You may want to taste the sauce at this point and add more brown sugar to your liking.
- Pour sauce over chicken and toss gently to coat.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Serve over rice.
10 thoughts on “Slow Cooker Orange Chicken”
Looks great to me. Course, One of my complaints about orange chicken from restaurants is that it doesn't taste like orange. 😉
I love orange flavor with my chicken and pork. I'll, try this one.
It looks great! I'm about to post something that I wasn't too crazy about but my toddler loved it! So, maybe somebody out there (adult or child) will like it.
Sorry you were disappointed, I enjoy that Orange Chicken from Panda Express every so often too! I need to get a slow cooker!
I really like orange flavor. I have been craving orange chicken or shrimp for weeks now. Sorry you found this disappointing! It looks so tasty in the picture.
I love using the slow cooker in the winter. I need to bust it out!
Looks so fancy!! I love slow cookers! They are true lifesavers, and make some yummy meals as well! I love making thick stews in it! Thanks for the recipe 🙂
Looks spectacular! I love Panda Express, very impressed by their freshness for a drive thru fast place!
I need a slow cooker recipe like this, it sounds great and easy!! Thanks for sharing!
I added a splash of soy sauce to the recipe, and was short on time so I just made it in a skillet. When I am out of oj concentrate, I use fresh orange juice with grated orange peel. Turns out really well, not so sweet. Just remember to add that splash of soy sauce to the oj/ketchup/sugar/vinegar sauce!