A homemade version of the Starbucks favorite Pumpkin Spice Latte, this Pumpkin Latte has real pumpkin and fall spices for a fraction of the cost.
This post was originally published on November 6, 2009. It has been updated with new photos and additional commentary in October 2020.
One of my favorite things about fall is the Pumpkin Spice Latte. I first noticed them at Starbuck’s years ago, and now it seems like every major coffee place carries a version of this delicious drink.
As good as they are, I find it hard to shell out almost $5 for a drink, so last year I found this Pumpkin Latte recipe. I really enjoyed it! Bob has a bit of a problem with the texture of the drink (it has pure pumpkin puree in it so it’s not quite as smooth as the more artificial drinks out there). If this bothers you, you can strain it through a fine mesh strainer to remove the larger pieces of pumpkin.
What I like is that you can make this recipe any way you want (kind of like at Starbuck’s!) – decaf, half caff, lower sugar, etc. It’s a nice alternative that allows you to stay in your warm cozy home and save a little money for the upcoming holiday season! 🙂
Like the Easy Dalgona Whipped Coffees, this recipe can be adapted to suit your specific taste or dietary requirements. You may use regular or decaf coffee, any kind of sugar or sweetener, and any type of milk. The recipe calls for evaporated milk. It really does taste good, but you could certainly use other kind of milk or cream.
The coffee, milk, pumpkin, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice are combined in a microwavable 2-cup glass measuring cup. The mixture is heated until hot. Alternatively, you may heat it in a saucepan on the stove.
Once heated, the mixture is poured into a mug. If desired, you may place a small strainer over the mug and pour the latte through the strainer to remove larger pieces of pumpkin puree. This is a matter of preference, although I do not find it necessary for me.
I like to use a handheld milk frother to make it a little foamy. (I am linking a milk frother that has great reviews because I can’t find a link for the one I have).
After the drink has been frothed, you can top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice!
Original photos from post published on November 6, 2009:
Looking for more Unique Drink Ideas?
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 2/3 cup evaporated fat free milk
- 1/4 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 to 2 teaspoons granulated sugar (or sweetener of your choice)
- 1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or ground cinnamon
- whipped cream
- pumpkin pie spice or ground cinnamon (for sprinkling )
- Combine coffee, evaporated milk, pumpkin, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice in a 2-cup microwave-safe glass measure or small saucepan. Heat until very hot. If using stove, use medium-low heat and stir occasionally.
- Carefully pour into mugs. Top as desired. Tip: To make a foamy top to your latte, prepare as above and carefully transfer the mixture to a blender. Cover with lid, hold lid down with folded towel or potholder. Blend for 1 minute, then serve.