Spicy Roasted Chicken
Spicy Roasted Chicken features a spicy, flavorful seasoning blend to rub on a chicken before roasting. This low and slow recipe is quick and easy to prepare and the smell of chicken roasting will fill your home and make everyone look forward to dinner time!
Bob and I spent Easter alone in Chicago this year. Since I don’t eat ham, I decided to make a roasted chicken for dinner. I thought this recipe looked special enough for a holiday, and it definitely was. We loved the spices, and I honestly forgot how amazing a chicken baking in the oven smells!
The chicken is stuffed with onion and then rubbed with this delicious, spicy seasoning blend. Then it is roasted low and slow. The result is a well seasoned, perfectly juicy roasted chicken.
This Spicy Roasted Chicken was perfect for a lazy day at home, since it takes nearly 4 hours to cook. This would be a great dish to serve to company because I think the colorful spices make for a nice presentation. I still have to post what we had with the chicken and for brunch that morning – coming soon! UPDATE: We served this chicken with one of my favorite side dishes Potatoes and Onions. Easter Brunch was Quiche Lorraine Florentine and Monkey Bread Muffins.
Gluten Free Spicy Roasted Chicken
This recipe is naturally gluten free! Make sure to check your chicken packaging if you are sensitive to chicken that has been fed a gluten-containing diet.
Looking for more Chicken recipes?
Check out these other recipes:
Southwestern Roasted Chicken
Spicy Honey Brushed Chicken Thighs
Garlic Braised Chicken Thighs with Roasted Carrots
Ultimate Chicken Fingers
Huli Huli Hawaiian Chicken
Caramelized Apple Stuff Chicken with Fontina and Cherries
Chicken with Dijon Mascarpone Marsala Sauce
Caprese Stuffed Chicken
- 4.5-5 pound whole chicken
- 1 medium onion (quartered)
- Cooking spray
For the seasoning blend:
- 6-8 cloves of garlic (peeled)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Rinse chicken. Place onions and garlic inside chicken cavity.
- Mix all seasonings in a bowl and rub evenly over the bird. Spray the bird with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer into the thigh making sure not to touch bone.
- Roast uncovered for 3 1/2 – 4 hours until the thermometer reads 170F. After 2 hours, baste the bird and repeat every half hour until done. (For a crispy skin, do not baste for the last hour of cooking).
- Remove chicken from oven when finished and let rest for at least 10 minutes prior to carving.