Homemade Ice Cream Cake – Dairy Queen Copycat
This no bake Homemade Ice Cream Cake – Dairy Queen Copycat tastes even better than the DQ version! Customize the flavors, colors, and decorations. Gluten free option too!
One of my and my sister’s favorite cakes growing up was the Dairy Queen Ice Cream Cake. We often requested it for our birthdays. I thought it would be fun to try this homemade version.
You can make this with homemade ice cream if you like, but I chose to go the easy route and use store bought. We really loved this homemade version of the DQ ice cream cake – in fact, we think it’s even better than the store bought version!
It begins with a no-bake Oreo crust (see below for gluten free option), then layers of chocolate ice cream, vanilla ice cream, and a homemade hot fudge sauce layer. This layer is really the star of the show because it is SO GOOD. The fudge layer is topped with Cool Whip or whipped cream and decorated the way you choose.
This cake is so versatile. You can use the traditional no bake chocolate sandwich cookie crust shown here, or do a brownie crust or a chocolate chip cookie crust. You can swap in any flavors of ice cream, and you have limitless possibilities for decorating the top. You can even color the vanilla ice cream like I did for this Rainbow Unicorn Ice Cream Cake. I have also colored the whipped topping layer for a really neat effect of water on a beach in this Mermaid Ice Cream Cake.
Gluten Free Option for Homemade Ice Cream Cake – Dairy Queen Copycat
I now make this with gluten free sandwich cookies in place of Oreos – the result is the exact same taste!
Want more Ice Cream Cakes?
I have made these for so many of my kids’ birthdays and will keep updating as I publish the posts! It is one of our go to birthday cakes now.
Brownie Peppermint Ice Cream Cake has a brownie crust instead of Oreo, while Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Cake has a Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake for the crust! Try it with any flavor of ice cream(s). By request, my kids have had an ice cream cake with mint chocolate chip and chocolate ice cream and another with cherry chocolate chunk ice cream with chocolate and vanilla ice cream.
And check out my Rainbow Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches with a brownie that is easy to bite straight from the freezer, and my Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches, made with a chocolate chip pan cookie!
My Aunt’s famous Grasshopper Pie made with mint chocolate chip ice cream is our annual St. Patrick’s Day Dessert
Looking for Homemade Ice Cream Recipes?
Check out these recipes for homemade ice cream:
Homemade French Vanilla Ice Cream
Mint Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
Cinnamon Ice Cream
Daniel Tiger’s Banana Swirl
And don’t forget the topping: Homemade Ben & Jerry’s Hot Fudge Sauce!
- 13×9-inch pan or two 9-inch round springform pans
For the crust:
- 2 1/2 cups crushed Oreo cookies
- 8 tablespoons melted butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup sugar
For the ice cream layers:
- 1/4 – 1/2 gallon chocolate ice cream, slightly softened (store bought or homemade)
- 1/4 – 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, slightly softened (store bought or homemade)
For the fudge layer:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the topping:
- 8 ounces Cool Whip (or whipped cream)
- Sprinkles or decorations of choice
- Combine 2 cups crushed Oreos with melted butter and sugar. Press into a 13×9 pan or two 9-inch round springform pans. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Spread the chocolate ice cream on top of the crust and freeze for 1 hour.
- Spread the vanilla ice cream on top of the chocolate layer and freeze for 2 more hours.
- Combine first 4 ingredients of hot fudge sauce in a saucepan and bring to a boil for 8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- Spoon sauce on top of vanilla ice cream layer and freeze until firm.
- Spread Cool Whip on top and sprinkle with Oreo crumbs or colored sprinkles. Freeze for 3 hours.