Mint Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
A classic homemade Mint Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream that is based on a Ben & Jerry’s recipe. It is a refreshing frozen treat!
Meet one of my favorite Christmas gifts – the Cuisinart Frozen Yogurt – Ice cream, & Sorbet Maker! In addition to other great kitchen tools, my generous in-laws gave me this gift, as well as the Cuisinart Frozen Yogurt – Ice cream, & Sorbet Maker. This ice cream maker is top rated by Cook’s Illustrated (as well as used by Coconut & Lime).
I have wanted an ice cream maker for a long time – particularly for sorbets and frozen yogurts. I also love sno-cones/slushies and was so excited to learn that this machine can make those too!
For my very first frozen treat, I decided to do Mint Chocolate Chunk ice cream. Mint Chocolate Chip/Chunk ice cream is one of my favorite ice creams. The cool mint is so refreshing, and chocolate makes everything better.
I used the Ben & Jerry’s Mint Oreo recipe but subbed chopped semi-sweet chocolate for the Oreos. My only issue was that the chocolate took a long time to melt after frozen – as in it gets stuck in your teeth. I used Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate, but next time I will use the Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate. It melts more easily than the semi-sweet.
As far as the taste of the ice cream – fantastic! I’m amazed that I can make this at home. Great texture, creamy and delicious. I’m excited to try many more flavors, especially ones that are hard or impossible to find in stores.
The basic idea of Mint Chocolate Chunk can be applied to different ice cream bases – you don’t have to use the egg-containing base that I did. I almost had to hide the ingredient list to get Bob to eat it; raw eggs creep him out 🙂
How to use your Homemade Ice Cream
I use mint ice cream in Grasshopper Pie and Oreo Shamrock Shakes, and it would be great in a Homemade Ice Cream Cake or Brownie Peppermint Ice Cream Cake. Also try it in Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches or Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches!
LOOKING FOR MORE HOMEMADE ICE CREAM RECIPES?
- ice cream maker
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy or whipping cream
- 1 cup milk (see note)
- 2 teaspoon mint/peppermint extract
- 4 ounces semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate (chopped into pieces smaller than a chocolate chip)
- small amount of green food coloring gel (optional)
- Whisk eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes, either by hand or with a stand mixer.
- Add the sugar slowly while whisking, then whisk for about a minute more until completely blended.
- Add the cream and milk while whisking to blend.
- Add mint extract and blend again. Add food coloring, if desired.
- Transfer mixture to an ice cream maker and prepare according to manufacturer's instructions. Add the chocolate chunks in the last 5 minutes of mixing.
- Serve immediately or transfer to an airtight container and freeze. I preferred the texture of the ice cream after it was frozen overnight.