Creamy Tomato Basil and Italian Turkey Sausage Soup
Creamy Tomato Basil and Italian Turkey Sausage Soup is a quick and filling meal that features turkey sausage, fresh spinach and basil, and pasta.
One of my favorite soups from the hospital cafeteria across from my lab is Tomato Florentine. It’s a basic tomato soup with spinach and pasta shells. I was reminded of this soup when I saw Jenny’s recipe for Creamy Tomato Basil and Italian Sausage Soup. I loved that this recipe comes together in just 10 minutes! Of course my version takes a bit longer since I had to complicate it by adding some pasta and spinach, but it’s still a super quick recipe, and it’s delicious!
First I cooked the macaroni according to the package directions. While the pasta cooks, I browned the turkey sausage. I always take it out of the casing. After the turkey is cooked, jarred tomato sauce is added along with some water, basil, and half and half. I used fat free half and half, but you could also use milk if you wanted. Then the cooked pasta and fresh spinach are added and cooked until the spinach wilts. I served it with grated fresh Parmesan cheese.
We really enjoyed this dinner, and it was very hearty with the sausage, pasta, and spinach. It was definitely filling enough to be a meal!
Updated Commentary and Gluten Free Creamy Tomato Basil and Italian Turkey Sausage Soup
I now use Rao’s Homemade Marinara sauce for all of my jarred pasts sauce needs. I think this would be great in this soup!
To make this soup entirely gluten free, substitute gluten free macaroni or small pasta instead of traditional pasta.
Looking for more Soup Recipes?
Check out these other soup recipes:
Roasted Tomato Soup
Chicken, Leek, and Tomato Soup
Simplified Chicken Tortilla Soup
Homemade Turkey Soup
Chicken Sonoma Stew
Leek and Potato Soup
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Black Bean Soup
Chicken Sausage Florentine Soup
Chili Coconut Chicken Soup
- 3 sweet Italian turkey links (casing removed)
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade (or 1-2 teaspoons purchased basil puree)
- 26 ounces pasta sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half (regular or fat free)
- 1 cup small whole wheat pasta (such as macaroni)
- 6 ounces fresh spinach (roughly chopped)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese, grated (if desired)
- Boil a small pot of water. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium-sized dutch oven over medium heat. Brown sausage, breaking it into bite-sized pieces, or smaller. Drain grease (or use paper towels to soak up grease), if desired.
- Stir in pasta sauce, basil leaves or puree, water, and half-and-half. Cook until warm then reduce heat to low.
- Add cooked pasta and season soup with salt and pepper to taste. Toss in the fresh spinach and simmer until wilted. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.