Chocolate Covered Strawberries
These homemade Chocolate Covered Strawberries are decorated with elegant white chocolate stripes to fit any special occasion!
With Valentine’s Day coming up, I thought it was the perfect time to share this recipe for homemade chocolate covered strawberries. The concept and method are simple, but people spend an inordinate amount of money on these at candy shops around Valentine’s Day – why not make them at home!
I made these chocolate-covered strawberries for my sister’s bridal shower last year. I had never made them before and was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was and how good they tasted. Making them at home allows you to choose the type of chocolate you use and know exactly what’s going into them. I love adding the white chocolate stripes (idea courtesy of Annie) – I think they make them look more elegant and festive.
LOVE STRAWBERRIES? Try these Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries!
Gluten Free Chocolate Covered Strawberries
These strawberries are naturally gluten free! Check your chocolate packaging for possible cross contamination.
Looking for Homemade Candies?
Looking for More Fruit Desserts?
Check out these other desserts:
Strawberry Pretzel Jello Salad
Blueberry Vanilla Cupcakes with Blueberry Ganache
Dark Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies with Blueberry Ganache
Blueberry Crumb Bars
Peach Blueberry Crumbles
Cherry Chocolate Cheesecake Bundt Cake
Dark Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies
Roasted Cherry Brownie Sundaes with Cherry Port Sauce
Key Lime Bars
Apple Crumble Pizza Pie
Classic Apple Pie
Easy Fresh Peach Pie
Fresh Blueberry Pie
Mixed Berry Pie
Sweet Cherry Pie
- chocolate of choice (semi-sweet, bittersweet, or milk; bars or chips)
For the white chocolate drizzle:
- white chocolate chips (or almond bark)
- vegetable shortening or oil
- Wash strawberries and dry well by allowing to air dry on a paper towel or using paper towels to gently pat dry.
- To make tempered chocolate, chop the chocolate into pieces (or use chocolate chips) and place 3/4 of it in a small glass bowl in a microwave for 20 seconds exactly. Stir the chocolate and continue to microwave for 20 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until the chocolate is smooth and shiny.
- Add the remaining 1/4 of the chocolate and stir until smooth. This will temper the chocolate to preserve texture and appearance.
- Dip each strawberry into the tempered chocolate and place on a sheet pan covered with parchment or waxed paper. Refrigerate for 2 minutes to set.
To make the drizzle:
- Melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave until just melted. Add a small amount (about 1/2 teaspoon) vegetable shortening or oil and stir until smooth. Transfer the white chocolate to a pastry bag or resealable plastic bag with the tip cut off. Drizzle white chocolate over each strawberry to make stripe design. In my experience, it's important to work quickly with white chocolate because it seizes up more quickly than regular chocolate.
- Refrigerate strawberries until ready to serve. Best if eaten within 24 hours.