Red Velvet Brownies with Cheesecake Swirl
The prettiest, most festive brownies, these Red Velvet Brownies have a delicious cheesecake filling swirled and baked right in.
Congratulations Natalie!!! You have won a $75 gift certificate to CSN Stores! Please email me at mtmbakesblog AT gmail.com to claim your prize. Thank you to CSN Stores for sponsoring this giveaway!
Now I must tell you about these brownies. I made them the night before having our good friends Jenny and Jeff, and their baby Andrew, over for dinner (you may remember them from the Monkey Cookies!) I had these in the oven for about 10 minutes when our power went out!! I was really annoyed thinking they were probably ruined. Not knowing how long it would be before power was restored, I moved the brownies to the very cold garage. After about an hour, the power came back and I put the brownies back in the oven until done. I have no idea how this affected them, but they did turn out very tall! These were really good brownies, definitely more cake-like than fudgey, but I can’t say whether that’s due to how I baked them. I loved the cheesecake swirl on top. These are definitely festive and would be perfect for the holidays and Valentine’s Day!
After deciding to make these brownies, I saw a similar recipe for Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies on Baking Bites that looks fantastic as well!
Looking for more brownie recipes?
Check out my other brownie recipes HERE.
- 9-inch square baking dish or pan
For the brownies:
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (chopped)
- 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1-ounce bottle red food coloring (or about 1/2 container of Wilton icing gel)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
For the cream cheese swirl:
- 4 ounces cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 large egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9 x 9-inch square baking dish with two pieces of aluminum foil, folding ends over the edges. Spray with cooking spray.
- Combine the chocolate and butter in a large, microwave safe bowl. Cook 30 seconds at a time until melted, stirring well after each time. Whisk in the sugar.
- One at a time, add the eggs, whisking well between each addition. Stir in the flour, food coloring, baking powder, salt, buttermilk, vanilla, and vinegar. Combine well, then pour into the prepared baking dish.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and egg yolk. Drop spoonfuls over the brownie batter, then use a table knife to swirl into the batter.
- Bake 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached. Allow to cool completely before slicing.