Red Velvet Brownies with Cheesecake Swirl
The prettiest, most festive brownies, these Red Velvet Brownies with Cheesecake Swirl have a delicious cheesecake filling swirled and baked right in.
I must tell you about these brownies. I made them the night before having our good friends Jenny and Jeff, and their baby Andrew, over for dinner (you may remember them from the Monkey Cookies!)
I had these in the oven for about 10 minutes when our power went out!! I was really annoyed thinking they were probably ruined. Not knowing how long it would be before power was restored, I moved the brownies to the very cold garage.
After about an hour, the power came back and I put the brownies back in the oven until done. I have no idea how this affected them, but they did turn out very tall! These were really good brownies, definitely more cake-like than fudgy, but I can’t say whether that’s due to how I baked them. I loved the cheesecake swirl on top.
After deciding to make these brownies, I saw a similar recipe for Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies on Baking Bites that looks fantastic as well! I love the flavors of red velvet and cheesecake, like in this Red Velvet Cheesecake and Mini Red Velvet Cheesecakes. These brownies are definitely festive and would be perfect for the holidays and Valentine’s Day!
Gluten Free Red Velvet Brownies
I haven’t tried it myself with this recipe, but I’ve had great success using Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour in place of all purpose flour in many brownie, cake, and cookie recipes.
Looking for more Red Velvet Recipes?
Looking for more Brownie Recipes?
Check out my other Brownie recipes:
Best Gooey French Brownies
Coconut Butterscotch Chip Brownies
Chewy Fudgy Brownies
Dairy Free Soy Free Brownies (MSPI)
Dark Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies with Blueberry Ganache
Rainbow Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Brownie Peppermint Ice Cream Cake
- 9-inch square baking dish or pan
For the brownies:
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (chopped)
- 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1-ounce bottle red food coloring (or about 1/2 container of Wilton icing gel)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
For the cream cheese swirl:
- 4 ounces cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 large egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9 x 9-inch square baking dish with two pieces of aluminum foil, folding ends over the edges. Spray with cooking spray.
- Combine the chocolate and butter in a large, microwave safe bowl. Cook 30 seconds at a time until melted, stirring well after each time. Whisk in the sugar.
- One at a time, add the eggs, whisking well between each addition. Stir in the flour, food coloring, baking powder, salt, buttermilk, vanilla, and vinegar. Combine well, then pour into the prepared baking dish.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and egg yolk. Drop spoonfuls over the brownie batter, then use a table knife to swirl into the batter.
- Bake 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached. Allow to cool completely before slicing.