Mashed Potato Layered Casserole
Mashed Potato Layered Casserole features layers of mashed white potatoes and mashed sweet potatoes, topped with a blend of cheeses.
This recipe was originally posted as the 11th Day of Christmas in my 12 Days of Christmas Series!
Being the holiday season, I decided to post this incredible recipe for a mashed potato casserole. You may be thinking to yourself ‘great, another potato casserole recipe,’ but this casserole has something special – the perfect balance of white potatoes and sweet potatoes. This will satisfy your craving for sweet and savory – all in one dish.
My mom used to make this for our Christmas Day dinner at my aunt’s house every year, until the family got so big we required two casserole dishes of it, which is more work that she was willing to put in on Christmas afternoon! The great thing is that the Kraft website states that you can assemble the casserole days in advance and bake it later – a perfect solution! UPDATE: Kraft has since removed this recipe from their website, but I’m certain it can still be made ahead of time!
Gluten Free Mashed Potato Layered Casserole
This recipe is naturally gluten free!
Looking for More Side Dish Recipes?
Check out these other side dishes:
Garlic Roasted Cauliflower
Haricots Verts with Shallots
Mashed Potatoes and Root Vegetables
Crash Hot Potatoes
New England Sausage and Dried Cranberry Stuffing
- 4 large white potatoes (peeled, chopped, and cooked)
- 2 large sweet potatoes (peeled, chopped, and cooked)
- 8 ounces chive and onion cream cheese (divided)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (divided)
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the cooked white and sweet potatoes in separate bowls. Add half each of the cream cheese and sour cream to the potatoes in each bowl; season with salt and pepper. Mash with potato masher or fork until creamy.
- Stir half of the Parmesan cheese into the bowl of white potatoes. Stir half of the cheddar cheese into the bowl of sweet potatoes.
- Alternately layer half each of the white potato mixture and sweet potato mixture in a 2-quart clear glass casserole dish. Repeat layers.
- Bake 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and continue baking 5 minutes or until cheeses are melted.