Haricots Verts with Shallots
Haricots Verts with Shallots are French green beans cooked with butter and shallots with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Last week I stopped off at Trader Joe’s on my walk home to get a few things I needed for dinner. I saw this huge package of haricots verts (French-style green beans), and I couldn’t help but get them. As soon as I got home I Googled “haricot vert recipes” (at this time not completely sure of the plural form) and found this awesome one on Smitten Kitchen. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any of the ingredients except the haricots verts and butter – no problem, it was still fantastic!
The next day I got the other ingredients and made the dish exactly as the recipe states, and it was incredible – I love this recipe so much. The shallots cooked in butter are amazing, and I love the slight crunch of the beans. These are the perfect side dish – quick, healthy, and delicious. I highly recommend the cooking technique even if you don’t use the shallots, tomatoes, and lemon – the beans turn out perfect. I’m so happy to add this to my side dish repertoire 🙂
Gluten Free Haricots Verts
This side dish is naturally gluten free!
Looking for More Side Dish Recipes?
- 1/2 pound haricots verts (trimmed)
- 2 teaspoon butter
- 1 small shallot (sliced)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons diced tomato
- Wedge of lemon
- Cook beans in boiling, salted water for 3 1/2 minutes. Quickly strain and submerge into cold water to stop cooking process.
- In the same pot that you cooked the beans, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until just translucent but not brown, 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the drained beans back to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Cook until heated through.
- Transfer beans to a serving platter, top with tomatoes, and squeeze lemon juice over the dish. Serve immediately.