Honey Lime Chicken Fajitas
Honey Lime Chicken Fajitas are made with chicken marinated in homemade honey lime dressing, then sauteed and served with fajita veggies. Perfect with flour or corn tortillas or as a burrito bowl.
Happy Cinco de Mayo! 🙂 Several years ago Bob found a Rachael Ray recipe for Grilled Honey Lime Chicken Sandwiches. He adapted the recipe to something we called “Bob’s Honey Lime Chicken.” His adaptation was simply the marinated chicken baked in the oven and served alongside pasta/rice and vegetables.
The chicken has a delicious, sweet flavor. I started thinking how this chicken could be used in other recipes, and fajitas came to mind. I usually just use McCormick fajita seasoning. While we love that seasoning, I thought I’d switch it up a bit.
I developed this recipe to minimize time in the kitchen as well as dirty dishes. I have it down as a 30 minute meal. First, you make a homemade honey lime marinade. While the chicken is marinating, you cook the fajita veggies. When they are done, the chicken is cooked in the same skillet. One skillet means minimal clean up!
These fajitas were great! I have some ideas for how to use this chicken in other ways too. I’ll have to experiment! We had the chicken and veggies with flour tortillas. They would have been delicious with corn tortillas or with rice as fajita burrito bowls.
Gluten Free Option for Honey Lime Chicken Fajitas
Looking for more Fajita recipes?
Check out my other Fajita recipes:
Skillet Chicken Fajitas
Grilled Chicken Fajitas
Other Mexican Entree Recipes:
Chicken Street Tacos – Costco Copycat
Layered Taco Dip – can be a meal!
Chicken Enchiladas with Red Chili Sauce
Fiesta Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas
Red Chili Chicken and Rice
Chicken Mexican Pizzas
Chicken and Spinach Quesadillas
Pico de Gallo Chicken Quesadillas
Baked Quesadillas with Creamy Cilantro Jalapeno Sauce
See all of my Mexican recipes HERE.
For the Honey Lime Marinade:
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 rounded teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 chicken breasts (cut into strips)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
For the Fajita Veggies:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 green pepper, 1 orange pepper, 1 red onion, 1 yellow onion – each cut into strips (any veggie of choice works here – zucchini, squash, mushrooms, spinach, etc.)
- Flour tortillas (or corn tortillas or rice)
- Light sour cream
- Shredded cheese (such as Monterey Jack)
- Shredded lettuce
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle strips of chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the marinade and stir to coat. Set aside for 10 minutes. While the chicken marinates, prepare the veggies.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onions. Cook until softened, about 7-10 minutes.
- Transfer the peppers and onions to a serving dish. Add the contents of the small bowl to the warm skillet containing 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, if necessary. Cook until chicken is done and browned and liquid has evaporated. Transfer to serving dish.
- Warm tortillas between wet paper towels in the microwave, and transfer toppings to serving dishes. Serve all components separately and fill tortillas as desired. If making burrito bowls, fill bowls with rice and top with chicken, sauteed veggies, and toppings.