Cupcake Gender Reveal
We surprised family with a Cupcake Gender Reveal to announce the sex of our 2nd baby. The inside is either blue or pink. What’s your guess?
When I found out I was having a girl during my first pregnancy, I knew I wanted to reveal the sex of our baby in a fun way and ended up doing a Truffle Reveal. It was so excited to watch the look on each person’s face as they bit into their truffle and looked down to see the color inside.
For our second baby, I wanted to do something different but still incorporate my love for baking. I like the idea of an individual dessert so each person can discover the surprise on his/her own. I decided to fill cupcakes with either pink or blue frosting so each person would bite into the cupcake to reveal whether Ava was getting a little brother or sister. These Gender Reveal Cupcakes ended up being so much fun and the perfect way to announce the big news!
If you’ve been reading earlier posts, you know that the we had a girl! I was beyond excited for Ava to have a little sister, since I love my little sister so much and can’t imagine my life without her. Of course I meant to blog this when the news was actually news, but being pregnant plus taking care of a toddler got the best of me. Regardless, I thought it would be fun to document how we revealed our surprise to our family and show a little step-by-step of how to make these cupcakes.
Cupcake Gender Reveal
1. Bake cupcakes of choice in gender-neutral cupcake liners. (I chose a boxed chocolate Duncan Heinz cake for convenience and used green liners such as these).
2. With a small knife, cut out a round, cone shape from the top of the cupcake.
3. Using the knife, cut the tip off of the small piece of cake you have removed (eat the small tip of cake if you’d like a snack!)
5. Replace the small piece of cake on top of the buttercream.
7. Decorate at desired. I used gender neutral sprinkles such as these.
8. Pass out cupcakes to family/friends.
9. Tell your guests to bite into their gender reveal cupcakes to reveal the sex of your baby!
I recommend taking a video of the Cupcake Gender Reveal so you can relive it later!
Looking for more Gender Reveal Ideas?
- gender neutral cupcake liners
- food gloves
- paring knife
- piping bag or resealable plastic bag
- 1 batch of your favorite cupcakes
- 1 batch of your favorite frosting
- pink or blue food coloring liquid/gel
- gender neutral sprinkles or decorations
- Bake cupcakes of choice in gender-neutral cupcake liners.
- With a small knife, cut out a round, cone shape from the top of the cupcake.
- Using the knife, cut the tip off of the small piece of cake you have removed.
- Prepare pink or blue buttercream and pipe into the hole created when you removed the small piece of cake.
- Replace the small piece of cake on top of the buttercream.
- Frost and decorate the cupcakes as desired.
- Pass out cupcakes to family/friends and tell everyone to bite into his/her cupcake to reveal the sex of your baby!