Guacamole Turkey Burgers – Red Robin Copycat
Guacamole Turkey Burgers are a Red Robin Copycat of the Santa Fe Burger. Topped with Jack cheese, guacamole, chopped tomatoes, and homemade chipotle mayonnaise.
This post was originally published on February 26, 2010. It has been updated with new photos and added commentary in November 2020.
Apparently it’s Mexican week on my blog! 🙂
Bob has wanted me to do a Red Robin copycat burger for a long time. If you’ve never been to Red Robin, they have tons of varieties of burgers, including turkey burgers and “chicken burgers” as they call them (it’s an actual chicken breast, not ground chicken).
Bob’s favorites are the two with guacamole. I’ve recently been eating more avocados after avoiding them for a while because they made my mouth itch due to oral allergies. I looked at the Red Robin menu online and decided I would pick elements of the Santa Fe Burger and turn it into the ultimate turkey burger.
I knew I would like this burger -what’s not to like?- but I had no idea how good it would be. This is one of my new favorite dinners! It was SO good! You could make this using any meat – turkey, chicken (ground or whole), beef, sirloin, even salmon!
In order to replicate the Santa Fe Burger at Red Robin, I wanted to make a homemade guacamole. I found Alton Brown’s Guacamole recipe that has amazing review, so I went with that. You can certainly use store bought guacamole for this burger.
Homemade Chipotle Mayonnaise
I wanted to make a Homemade Chipotle Mayonnaise. I found a Bobby Flay recipe and mixed that up while the burgers were cooking. It’s simply mayonnaise, chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, a little adobo sauce, lime juice, and salt and pepper. This mayo is so good and would be great for sandwiches and wraps.
To build the burgers, I first topped each burger with Monterey Jack cheese. Pepper Jack Cheese would have been amazing, but we didn’t have any. I covered the pan with a lid to melt the cheese. Once the cheese was melted, I added guacamole on top of the cheese, then added sour cream and fresh chopped tomatoes. I spread the chipotle mayonnaise on the bun and added it on top of the burgers. The result is a restaurant quality burger!
Gluten Free Guacamole Turkey Burgers
These turkey burger are naturally gluten free. You can serve them without buns or use Gluten Free hamburger buns.
Looking for Sides to Serve with Turkey Burgers?
Check out these Potato sides perfect to go alongside a burger:
Garlic Parmesan Oven Fries
Potatoes and Onions
Crash Hot Potatoes
Guacamole Turkey Burgers – Red Robin Copycat
- 1/2 pound ground turkey (or meat of choice)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Extra virgin olive oil (for brushing grill pan)
- Monterey or Pepper Jack cheese (2 slices or equivalent amount of shredded)
- guacamole, purchased or your favorite recipe (see note)
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1 Roma tomato (chopped)
- 2 hamburger buns
- 1/2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (to taste)
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- Squeeze of lime juice (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the ground turkey with the Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Shape into 2 patties.
- Brush a grill pan with extra virgin olive oil and heat over medium-high. Open buns and place the pieces that face the burger down onto the grill. Cook until slightly toasted. Remove to a plate and keep toasted side face-up.
- Brush additional oil on grill pan, if necessary, and add turkey burgers to the pan. Cook until brown on one side, flip, and cook fully. Adjust heat as necessary. When the burgers are completely cooked, add cheese on top of each, turn off the heat, and put a lid over the grill pan to melt the cheese.
- Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise ingredients.
- To assemble the burgers, spread chipotle mayonnaise on each half of the bun. Place a turkey burger on the bottom portion of the toasted bun, then top with guacamole, 1 tablespoon sour cream, and chopped tomatoes. Top with the other side of the bun, and repeat for the second burger.
10 thoughts on “Guacamole Turkey Burgers – Red Robin Copycat”
Mexican week is always a good thing!! I just went out to a local Mexican restaurant last night and had some guac–always satisfies! I love trying to recreate dishes from restaurants–good job!
Guacamole burgers are the bomb! That looks wicked good, love the chipotle mayo.
My mouth is watering – your burger looks amazing and I'm sure it tops Red Robin's version!
That is one mighty burger!
c'est excellent, j'adore
Are those homemade fries, Meghan? They look delicious, too.
Yes, Lisa. They are oven baked sweet potato fries. Recipe to come soon!
Stop it this looks SO good. The sweet potato fries look like the perfect side and I can't wait to see the recipe. Yum!
This sounds amazing! I would've never thought to put guac and sour cream on a burger. We love ground turkey too. Such a creative meal. Your guac sounds fab as well! Loving Mexican week…one of my favorite cuisines!
holy guacamole! I want some NOW.