Garlicky Shrimp Pasta
Garlicky Shrimp Pasta is a simple seafood pasta with a white wine garlic butter sauce. Restaurant quality food made at home!
Bob and I usually stay in on Valentine’s Day and make a special dinner together. This year we decided to make this Garlicky Shrimp Pasta that we’ve been eyeing for a long time in my America’s Test Kitchen cookbook. This was a simple, quick dinner that was every bit as good as it sounds. I’m glad to add another shrimp pasta to our dinner repertoire!
Gluten Free Garlicky Shrimp Pasta
Use a gluten free pasta in place of traditional pasta and a gluten free cup for cup flour (such as Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour) in place of all purpose flour for an entirely gluten free main dish.
Looking for More Shrimp Recipes?
Check out these recipes featuring shrimp:
Grilled Shrimp with Spicy Lemon Garlic Sauce
Shrimp Fra Diavolo with Linguine
Garlicky Shrimp Pasta
- 5 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 5 teaspoons)
- 4 medium garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 pound large shrimp (21-25, peeled, deveined, each shrimp cut into 2 or 3 pieces )
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- table salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound pasta in short, tubular shapes (such as fusilli, campanelle, or mezze rigatoni)
- 2 teaspoons unbleached all purpose flour (or gluten free)
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth or white wine
- 3/4 cup clam juice (or vegetable stock)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice plus 1 lemon (cut into wedges)
- ground black pepper
- Toss 2 teaspoons minced garlic, shrimp, 1 tablespoon oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Allow shrimp to marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Heat 4 smashed garlic cloves and remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until garlic is light golden brown, 4 to 7 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and use a slotted spoon to remove garlic from skillet; discard garlic. Set skillet aside.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to boil in large Dutch oven over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta. Cook until just al dente, then drain pasta, reserving 1/4 cup cooking water, and transfer pasta back to Dutch oven.
- While pasta cooks, return the skillet with oil to medium heat; add the shrimp with marinade to the skillet in a single layer. Cook the shrimp, undisturbed, until oil starts to bubble gently, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir the shrimp and continue to cook until almost cooked through, about 1 minute longer. Using slotted spoon, transfer shrimp to medium bowl.
- Add the remaining 3 teaspoons minced garlic and pepper flakes to the skillet and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute; stir in vermouth and cook for 1 minute. Add clam juice (or vegetable stock) and parsley; cook until mixture starts to thicken, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Off heat, whisk in the butter and lemon juice. Add the shrimp and sauce to the pasta, adding reserved cooking water if sauce is too thick. Season with black pepper. Serve, passing lemon wedges separately.
4 thoughts on “Garlicky Shrimp Pasta”
I love dishes like this. We stayed in and cooked for Valentines Day too.
Shrimp is one of my favorite foods….I would LOVE this pasta.
Yum! We usually stay in and make a special meal too 🙂
This sounds like my ideal restaurant dish, well done!