Chicken Pesto Pizza
In this Chicken Pesto Pizza, chicken is sauteed with zucchini and bell peppers and placed on top of a crust with a nut free basil sauce then cheese.
When I saw this recipe for Pesto Pizza, I knew I had to try it. The combination of the vegetables, chicken, and Italian seasoning that is cooked together before put on the pizza just sounded great.
This dinner was so delicious, and very adaptable to any kind of vegetable you want to throw in. I had some Trader Joe’s refrigerated pizza dough, so I used that. For some reason, I don’t have much luck with this dough . . . it always sticks to the pan – even if I put copious amounts of olive oil underneath – and who wants to do that?! (UPDATE: Try parchment paper!)
Bob and I both agreed that a more substantial crust was necessary to stand up to these ingredients. He even came up with an awesome variation that we are going to try next (UPDATE: Chicken Pizza with Nut Free Pesto)
Nut Free Basil Mixture
The original recipe calls for using prepared pesto as the pizza sauce. Many brands of store bought pesto contain pine nuts. Due to my nut allergy, I made a quick basil mixture. I had some basil puree in a tube that I mixed with Parmesan cheese and olive oil. For a nut free pesto that uses fresh basil, see my Nut Free Pesto. If you are not cooking for someone with a nut allergy, feel free to use any kind of prepared pesto.
Chicken and Vegetable Topping
The topping for this pizza consists of pieces of chicken breast sauteed with Italian seasoning and then a bunch of chopped veggies are added with more seasoning. The vegetables include onions, zucchini, and different colored bell peppers.
Bob was watching a show about Venetian food on the Travel Channel as I was preparing this dinner, can you tell I was inspired?
There is a cutting mat underneath those veggies, I promise!
LOOKING FOR MORE PIZZA RECIPES?
Check out these other pizza crust recipes:
Traditional Pizza Crust
Thin Crust Pizza
Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Quick Homemade No Yeast Pizza Crust
And pizza topping ideas:
Turkey Bacon, Sausage, and Pepperoni Deluxe Pizza
Chicken Pizza with Nut Free Pesto
BBQ Chicken Pizza
- pizza stone
- parchment paper
For the Basil Mixture:
- 1/2 tablespoon store bought basil puree
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Pizza:
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed or olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts (cut into small pieces)
- 1 tablespoon (Italian or pizza seasoning, divided)
- 1 medium zucchini (diced)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- 1 green pepper (diced)
- 1/2 orange pepper (diced)
- ~2-3 tablespoons basil mixture (see below)
- 1 cup (give or take, shredded mozzarella cheese)
- 1/2 batch homemade pizza crust recipe (see note, or prepared crust)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a pizza stone on a lower middle rack.
Prepare Basil Mixture:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the basil puree, Parmesan, and olive oil.
- Set aside and make the chicken and veggie mixture.
Prepare Pizza Topping:
- Heat the oil over medium/high heat, and cook the chicken for a few minutes. Sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon seasoning.
- Before chicken is cooked through, add vegetables and remaining 1/2 tablespoon seasoning. Cook until chicken is done and veggies are tender.
Assemble and Bake Pizza:
- Roll out dough on a piece of parchment paper. Prebake crust for a few minutes on a pizza stone, keeping the dough on the parchment even in the oven.
- Spread basil mixture evenly over pizza crust. Top with chicken/veggie mixture and mozzarella cheese. Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.