These Chicken Gyros have marinated chicken that is broiled then sliced and topped with homemade tzatziki sauce. A delicious twist on the classic gyro.
My first experience with gyros was at this little Lebanese restaurant called Haddad’s a few steps off campus from Bradley University. You walk into Haddad’s and you feel like you’ve stepped into someone’s living room, with toddlers busily crawling about, and the entire family conversing in a booth. Luckily for me, they had chicken gyros, which were pretty good. When I saw this recipe, I knew Bob would love for me to try it. Let me tell you – these are fantastic. I mean really, really good.
My only mistake – the pitas. I know pita pockets are not ideal because they tend to be stiffer than more traditional pita, but it was all I could find. I think I would have rather gone pita-less! I’d love to try making homemade pitas sometime with this recipe – I really think it would make a huge difference. UPDATE: Try these with Soft Wrap Bread!!!
Since making these gyros the first time, I’ve also made them using a salad base instead of pita, which was really delicious too. Another option would be to serve it as a salad, then have toasted pita on the side. Regardless, this recipe is outstanding!
Updated Commentary & Gluten Free Chicken Gyros
Many years after posting this recipe, this is still something in that makes an appearance on our dinner menu! I love making them with Soft Wrap Bread, but in the comments Elly also suggested using naan. I thought this was a great tip. Before I was gluten free, I loved Stonefire Naan!
For gluten free Chicken Gyros, use gluten free pitas or bread for the gyros, or make your own Soft Wrap Bread using gluten free flour!
Looking for more Chicken recipes?
Check out some of our favorite meals featuring Chicken:
Chicken Street Tacos – Costco Copycat
Red Curry Rice Noodles with Chicken
Grilled Chicken Fajitas
Skinny Orange Chicken
Chicken with Dijon Mascarpone Marsala Sauce
Huli Huli Hawaiian Chicken
Chicken Pizza with Nut Free Pesto
For the marinade:
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heaping tablespoons low fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 large chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
For serving the gyros:
- diced tomatoes
- sliced onions
- Soft Wrap Bread or pitas
- tzatziki sauce (homemade or store bought)
- fresh parsley (to garnish, optional)
- Whisk together the garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, oil, yogurt, and oregano in a bowl. Transfer marinade and chicken breasts to a resealable plastic bag, making sure the chicken is coated completely. Refrigerate for about an hour.
- Preheat the broiler (or grill or a pan on the stove). Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides, and broil until cooked through (mine took about 8 minutes per side). Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes before slicing into strips.
- Meanwhile, heat pitas. One way to do this is by lightly spraying with olive oil and sticking on the burner of a gas stove for a few seconds per side.
- Top pitas with chicken, tzatziki, tomatoes, and onion.
- 15 ounces low fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cucumber (peeled and seeded)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Shred cucumber and squeeze out as much liquid as possible using a thin kitchen / tea towel or paper towels.
- Mix together all ingredients. Refrigerate 30 minutes or more before serving.