Chicken and Pumpkin Tart Appetizers
Chicken and Pumpkin Tart Appetizers are the perfect fall party food! Chicken with roasted pumpkin, spinach, and haloumi cheese on top of puff pastry. Easy to serve at a party or as a Thanksgiving appetizer!
This is another appetizer I served for Game Night several weeks ago. I’ve had this recipe marked for 5 years! It’s from the Quick Short Chicken Recipes cookbook my aunt gave me when I started graduate school. I always turn to it when I’m flipping through the book, but never felt I had the right occasion to try it out. The original name of this dish is “Chicken Tarts with Pumpkin, Spinach, and Haloumi.” This name was way too long, so my friend Kathleen suggested we call them “Harvest Tarts,” and the name stuck. UPDATE: I’ve renamed these for easy searching.
In order to prep these in time for the party, I cut up and roasted the pie pumpkins the night before. I used two pumpkins and had a ton left over, so I’ve adjusted the recipe for 1. I couldn’t find haloumi cheese, but a quick Google search revealed that it’s simply a high melting point cheese similar to frying cheese, which Trader Joe’s carries. Have you ever seen the cheeses at Trader Joe’s??? SOOOO much cheaper than our local grocery store. Even cream cheese and mascarpone are much, much cheaper, which surprised me!
The party guests really liked these tarts. Bob and I thought they were tasty but needed a little something else – maybe a sauce? I’m not quite sure, but if you serve them with a sauce it’s probably best on the side, otherwise it might soften the pastry.
Gluten Free Chicken and Pumpkin Tarts
Use store bought gluten free puff pastry instead of traditional puff pastry to make this recipe completely gluten free.
Looking for More Appetizer Ideas?
Check out these other appetizers:
Fluffy Pumpkin Dip with Cinnamon Tortilla Cut Outs
Layered Taco Dip
Pan Fried Onion Dip
Jalapeno Popper Dip
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1 sheet puff pastry (defrosted)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small chicken breasts (sliced)
- 15 ounces pumpkin (sliced into 1-in x 1-in thin squares)
- 1 1/4 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 4 1/2 ounces haloumi or frying cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- To roast the pumpkin, put the slices on a baking sheet and brush with 1 tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the pumpkin is soft.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying a pan and cook the chicken, seasoned with salt and pepper, until cooked through.
- Unfold puff pastry into a large square. The original recipe says to cut the pastry into 4 equal squares (roughly 5 x 5-inch). I wanted smaller tarts since it was one of many appetizers, so I cut the pastry into 9 equal squares.
- Top pastry with slices of pumpkin, spinach leaves, chicken, and a slice of the cheese. Brush the entire thing (including the pastry dough) with remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until pastry has puffed and slightly browned.