Pumpkin Cornbread combines the best flavors of pumpkin spice with honey cornbread. The perfect side dish to accompany fall soup and chili.
I saw this Pumpkin Cornbread recipe the day before I planned to make the Turkey Pumpkin Chili – score! Cornbread is the perfect accompaniment to chili, and what better side to serve with pumpkin chili than pumpkin cornbread?!
This cornbread was fantastic! Some cornbread recipes result in bread that is slightly on the dry side, but this one isn’t. It’s not moist like a cake, but in cornbread terms it’s definitely moist; I think the olive oil helps keep it from getting dry. This recipe is simple and quick to throw together. We both loved this cornbread and will be making it again soon!
This cornbread would also be great with traditional Turkey Chili!
Gluten Free Cornbread
Use gluten free measure for measure flour (such as Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Baking Flour) in place of all purpose flour to make the cornbread gluten free.
Looking for More Sides to go with Chili?
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and grease an 8 x 8-inch baking dish (or spray with nonstick cooking spray).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, spices, brown sugar, and cornmeal.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, lightly beat the eggs, and then stir in the pumpkin, oil, and molasses.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined, and then pour the batter into the pan, smoothing out the top as much as possible.
- Bake 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.