Grilled Chicken Gyros feature flavorful marinated chicken, grilled indoors, outdoors or broiled, and served with soft wrap bread or pita and homemade tzatziki sauce. A fun twist on classic gyros!
For the Marinade:
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heaping tablespoons low fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 large chicken breasts
- salt and pepper (use when cooking chicken)
For the Tzatziki Sauce:
- 16 ounces low fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
For Serving the Gyros:
- Soft Wrap Bread or pitas (see note)
- tzatziki sauce (homemade or store bought)
- diced tomatoes
- sliced onions
- fresh parsley (to garnish, optional)
Marinate the Chicken:
Whisk together the garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, oil, yogurt, and oregano in a bowl.
Transfer marinade and chicken breasts to a resealable plastic bag, making sure the chicken is coated completely. Refrigerate for about an hour.
Cook the Chicken:
Preheat a grill pan, an outdoor grill, or a broiler. Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides, and broil until cooked through, approximately 8 minutes per side. Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes before slicing into strips.
Meanwhile, heat pitas. One way to do this is by lightly spraying with olive oil and sticking on the burner of a gas stove for a few seconds per side.
Top pitas with chicken, tzatziki, tomatoes, and onion.