Gluten Free Macaroons are chewy coconut cookies that are perfect for the holidays. Leave them plain or dip the bottoms in chocolate!
- butter (for greasing cookie sheets)
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk (such as Eagle Brand)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract (pure or imitation)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 cups shredded sweetened coconut
Chocolate for Dipping (optional):
- 1/2 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (amount will vary depending on how many cookies you wish to dip)
Preheat oven to 350°F and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. If not using parchment paper, grease cookie sheets well with butter.
Mix the condense milk, vanilla and almond extracts, and salt together in a large bowl. Add the coconut and stir together until well combined.
Drop the batter by spoonfuls onto the parchment lined or well-greased cookie sheet, allowing at least 1 to 2 inches of space between the cookies.
Bake until golden brown around edges, 8 - 10 minutes (may take longer depending on oven). Remove from the cookie sheet immediately and cool on wire racks.
Store cookies at room temperature in an airtight container.
Chocolate Coconut Macaroons:
Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler, in a heatproof bowl set above simmering water, or in the microwave in 30-second intervals at 50% power.
Once the chocolate is melted, dip the bottom of each cookie in the chocolate and place on a parchment lined surface to all the chocolate to set.
Recipe makes 2 dozen small macaroons. This quantity will be less if you make them larger.
Source: Adapted from a recipe in a local paper
You're Gonna Bake It After All