A different take on Reuben Sandwiches, this version uses turkey pastrami instead of corned beef.
- Turkey breast pastrami or sliced deli turkey
- 2 slices Rye bread (seeded or seedless)
- 1 slice Swiss cheese
- sauerkraut (optional)
- Thousand Island Dressing (purchased or homemade, amount to taste)
For the Thousand Island Dressing:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chili sauce (such as Heinz)
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
Preheat a frying pan over medium heat. Butter one side of each of two slices rye bread.
To make the Thousand Island dressing: combine mayonnaise, chili sauce, and sweet pickle relish until it reaches the right consistency and color, adding more of any component that seems lacking.
To assemble the sandwich: on one slice of bread, layer turkey pastrami, a slice of Swiss cheese, sauerkraut (if using), and dressing to taste, then top with other piece of bread.
Add sandwich to pan and cook as you would a grilled cheese sandwich, browning on one side then flipping to brown on the other.
You're Gonna Bake It After All