A chocolate cookie with a maraschino cherry on top, covered with a cherry chocolate topping.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour or gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dark or regular cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature (1 stick)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 10-ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained (reserve juice for topping)
- 6- ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- juice reserved from jar of cherries
Make the Cookies:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and soda, blending well; set aside.
In a mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar on low speed until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Gradually add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture; beat until smooth and well blended.
With hands, shape dough into 1-inch balls; place on ungreased baking sheet. Press down center of dough with thumb. Drain maraschino cherries well, reserving juice. Place a cherry in the center indention of each cookie.
Make the Glaze:
In small saucepan, combine chocolate pieces and sweetened condensed milk; heat on low until chocolate is melted. Stir in 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of the reserved cherry juice. If frosting seems too thick to spoon over cookies, thin with a little more cherry juice.
Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the topping over each cherry, spreading to cover cherry.
Source: Adapted from About.com
You're Gonna Bake It After All